8. Right now?

RATED R READ AT OWN RISK

*mature warning* skip if you don't want to read.

"You know the truth, say it. Say it."

"They were nobody."

"They were filthy junk traders. Sold you off for drinking money,"

Rey took in a sharp breath as she trembled through the pain and tears of the truth.

"They're dead, in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert. You have no place in this story, you're nothing. You're nothing."

Rey looked down as she tried her best to suppress a cry that threatened to break through. Her heart was breaking.

"But not to me." 

Her eyes shot up to his as his words stopped the cracking of her heart. His hand reached out for hers to take.

"Join me, please." He swallowed hard as the desperation became evident in his voice.

He wants Rey to join him. He wants them to be...together. Before she could make a move, or even make a decision, everything around her froze. The flames on the walls froze in place, specks of debris stopped in the air around them like stars, and Ben stood frozen in front of her.

'No. This isn't how it went. What's happening?' she thought.

"Isn't it?" said a voice that came into view from behind a frozen-in-place Ben. A tall man in a large cloak, the same height as him, walked up slowly to Rey. She squinted, focusing in on his face to see it clearly. The man lifted his hands up to his hood and pulled it back, revealing his identity. But it was...Kylo Ren. Rey took a step back, confused as to what was happening.

"Isn't this how it went?" Kylo replied to her thought in a dark, husky voice. He looked different. There were more scars on his face, and dark circles enveloping his under eyes, a darker Kylo.

Rey shook her head lightly, unknowingly.

"W-what's happening? Is this a dream?" Rey questioned in a quiet voice, trying to make sense of the situation.

"This is all happening in your head, yes. But that doesn't matter right now." Kylo looked up at his reflection that was revealing a vulnerable side. He circled around himself and shook his head, "weak."

"No," Rey was quick to defend Ben, who still stood frozen before her, hand outstretched, "not weak. No, this is strength." She said with a soft, proud smile as she looked back at Ben. Rey walked up closer to him and placed her hand on his cheek. It was imprinted with the pain of his past and present. And all at once, regret washed over her. She took in a short breath as a single tear fell down her cheek.

"Now you see. It was your mistake, your weakness, your foolishness, that threatened the potential peace of the galaxy. And look what happened." Kylo said as he looked down at her, whose gaze was still on Ben.

"I'm s-sorry," she staggered breathlessly, wrapping her arms tight around Ben's torso,"I'm sorry." She took in his scent. Sweaty, sure, but it smelt clean, sweet, manly. Rey buried her face into his clothing as Kylo continued to watch her own vulnerability unfold.

"You're too late. You already broke me here, right in this moment! And it took you until the world was in Palpatine's hands to realize that I needed you!"

Rey jumped up in the bed as she panted heavy gasps of air, sweat beaded along her forehead. She looked over to her left and saw that Ben was nowhere to be found. But turning her head, she was met with the sound of quick footsteps that belonged to Ben's as he sprinted to the arched entrance of the room with his lightsaber ignited.