Eight

Olivia's POV:

"Thanks for tagging along, I didn't want to be out here alone with Phoebe," I whisper as the both of us take a seat on the bleachers to watch the tryouts for lacrosse. "I tried calling Allison but she's busy with Lydia, I guess."

"It's no problem." Kira chuckled as her, Malia, and I place our bags in front of our legs. "Where is she?"

"She should be—"

"Hi, guys!" We turn and see Phoebe giddily walk closer to us and plop down next to me, completely missing the entire empty row. She literally could've sat anywhere else. "Man, I never have seen people interested in lacrosse tryouts before."

"It's fun to watch." Kira added with a grin, twiddling Scott's spare lacrosse stick in her hands. "Did you sign up for anything?"

She shook her head. "Not yet. I want to get to know the school before I do." She nudged my side playfully. "But...if someone had a recommendation, I totally would sign up."

"Too bad I don't," I mutter and notice Malia had her eyes glued to her textbook. "Studying for algebra?"

She nodded. "I want to learn. I'm tired of the embarrassment for not knowing anything."

"Didn't you learn this stuff last year?" Phoebe pipes up with her eyebrows furrowed.

"I was too busy chasing after other animals in the woods." Malia bluntly responded with a scoff. "Not learning formulas for shapes."

Phoebe curiously rose an eyebrow. "What?"

I awkwardly smile. "Mind your business, Penelope."

"It's Phoebe."

I shrugged. "Whatever."

Coach blows the whistle as several of the boys run passed him. "Terrible. Horrifying. Pathetic." He scoffed whenever a guy would pass him. "Unbelievably pathetic. Is that everyone?"

Stiles collapses to the floor after he finishes last during the lap and Scott quickly rushes to his aid

"Yep, that's everyone." Coach shook his head with disbelief.

"Is he going to be okay?" Phoebe whispered to me. "I can get him some water from the vending machines. I have leftover lunch money that your mom gave me."

"No, you're staying here." I say and gestured to her bag. "Do some homework."

"I finished it during lunch. I've already been working ahead on tomorrow's chemistry classwork." She says, showing her completed chemistry assignment.

"Double-check your answers then." I groan, already getting annoyed by our conversation.

"All right, what's wrong with you?" I turn and see Malia had looked away from her book and faced Kira.