Sixteen

Olivia's POV:

"Olivia! You're gonna be late for school if you don't come down for breakfast!" I hear my mom shout from downstairs as I stared at my duffel bag placed at my feet. "You do realize you're not the only person that uses the car!"

"I'll be there in just a second!" I yell as I reached down to grab a stack of cash from the bag which seemed about a thousand.

This amount of cash would help with so much. No more double shifts for my mom, a semi-decent car so we wouldn't have to share it, maybe even enough money for college.

For god's sake, this was only half of the money.

Instantly the door slams open and Phoebe walks in with an annoyed expression. "Come on Olivia, I need you to—woah!" Her eyes widen as soon as she sees the cash in my hand. "Where did you get the—?"

I quickly shushed her, rushing to the door to shut it behind her. "Quiet down, will you?" I angrily scold and shove the stack of cash inside. "Do you want every person in Beacon Hills to hear you?"

"Sorry!" She whispered and gestured to the duffel bag. "Seriously though, where did you get this? Did you rob a bank or something? Am I the only person who knows about this? Is this a part of the huge secret?"

"Yes, so that means you can't tell anyone." I zip the duffel bag shut and shove it in the back of my closet. "Not even our parents."

"Scott doesn't know?"

"He has the other half but--"

"There's another half?" She gasped but I shush her again. "Sorry but this is way passed a thousand. How much is in here?"

"Definitely more than ten thousand

"Definitely more than ten thousand." I mutter and her eyes widen once more.

"Higher than ten t-thousand?" She emphasized, placing both of her hands on my shoulders. "Please tell me that I can get at least two percent."

"No way." I push her hands off. "I'm not spending something in here that's not even mine."

She crossed her arms. "Oh come on, it's not like we'll use the whole thing. You and I both know that we could use that cash to help out with our family."

My eyes widen. "Our family? First of all, my mom isn't even yours. You just happened to take over my room when I came back."

"Are we back to this again?  It was the only room in the house!" She shook her head with disbelief. "Jesus, is this how Allison dealt with you when you were together?"

My heart sinks at the mention of her name but I hold a stern expression. "It can't be worse with why you're here with only Dad. What, did your mom find out that he was planning to live here and didn't want to tag along?"

Her posture stiffens. "She died three months ago."

Shit. "I'm sorry I-I—"

"Good thing I texted Liam. He said he and Mason wanted to take me to the preserve before we headed to school." Phoebe muttered as she reached down to grab her backpack from her bed. "Don't worry about the ride. They're already here."