26.

Finn's POV

A minute after Aida had gone to the washroom, Paloma and Noah rushed into the living room with horrified expressions. Everyone stared at them, confused as to why they appeared as if they've seen ghosts.

"Somebody call an ambulance," Paloma breathed.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm not—-It's Amelia."

"What happened?"

Paloma shook her head as she mouthed the words, "I don't know."

I shot up from my seat and hurried outside. When I opened the front door, I saw Amelia lying in the middle of the street. As I approached her, I noticed the dark pool growing from her body. It wasn't long before everyone else joined me outside, now surrounding her.

"What the hell happened?" Jaeden asked.

"I have no idea."

"Is she dead?"

I crouched down next to Amelia and placed two fingers against her neck, in hopes that I'd find a pulse. I cursed under my breath before backing away.

"How did this even happen?" Wyatt questioned.

"I have no idea."

"Maybe she got hit by a car?" Jaeden suggested.

I shrugged in response.

As Wyatt and Jaeden discussed the possible causes of Amelia's death, I heard the front door close. Apparently, I was not the only one, because everyone's attention shifted from Amelia to the one person who hadn't come outside yet, Aida.

I cursed under my breath for a second time as I pushed through the crowd of guests. I saw Aida descending the porch steps, motivating me to pick up the pace. She had already lost one of her closest friends, seeing the body would only make things worse.

Once I got close to Aida, she noticed my expression and gave me a confused glance.

"Go back inside," I commanded.

"What's wrong?"

I figured I'd explain it to her inside. Aida stepped to the side in an attempt to join everyone else, only for me to block her path.

"Aida, please."

The look of confusion on her face changed into concern because I never called Aida by her first name unless it was serious.

"Finn, what's going on?"

She looked so innocent, I didn't want to be the one to tell her that Amelia was dead. Jordan approached us and placed a hand on Aida's shoulder. She shrugged his hand off before poking her head out to see behind Jordan and me. Her face dropped.

Fuck.

"Oh my God!" She gasped.

Aida shoved past Jordan and me, before rushing towards the crowd.

"Aida!" I shouted. "Don't go there!"

I went after Aida as she pushed her way through the crowd until she finally made it to the center. By the time I reached her, it was too late. Aida had already seen Amelia. Before I had the chance to make any other movements, she went unconscious.

-

Aida's POV

I opened my eyes to see that I was no longer outside, I was lying in my bed.

What happened?

I felt very nauseous and confused as to how I got here in the first place. I remembered walking into an empty living room after using the washroom, then going outside to find everyone circling someone. However, everything that happened after was unclear.

I looked over to my left to see Finn sitting by the nightstand. Once he saw that I was awake he let out a sigh of relief. I sat up and leaned back against the headboard as he took a glass of water from the nightstand and handed it to me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Nauseous," I mumbled. "What happened?"

"You fainted."

"What happened before that? I remember everyone was surrounding someone, but...."

Finn shifted uncomfortably in his seat, reluctant to answer my question. His words came out as a mumble, making it impossible for me to understand any of it.

"I can't hear you."

"Amelia," he blurted. "That's who they were surrounding."

Gruesome images of Amelia slowly returned to me, and my heart sank. I looked up at Finn with wide eyes, before asking him a question I already knew the answer to.

"Is she dead?"

"Angel, I'm so sorry," he whispered.

I sat there silently as tears rolled down my cheeks. I could hear Finn's voice, however, I didn't catch a single word that was said.

This can't be real, I was just with her.

"We don't know how it happened," Finn sighed. "We're waiting for the police to get here so that we can find out."

Before Finn could say anything else, our bedroom door opened and Noelle entered.

"Um, Finn, the police are here," he said. "They wanna ask you some questions."

Finn nodded before exiting the room. Noelle walked over to the bed and took a seat next to me.

"How are you feeling?"

I opened my mouth to answer, yet nothing came out. No words could describe the shock and confusion I was feeling. Noelle placed her hand on mine, gently rubbing it.

"How did this happen?"

"According to the cops, it was a hit and run. I get that accidents happen, but to flee the scene is something else."

I reflected on what I saw from the kitchen window earlier. Before I bought this house, I did my research. For decades, children have played in the street—not that I would ever let my daughter do the same—but no one was ever hit by a car.  Of course, accidents can occur, however, the fact that Amelia was hit by a car hours after I saw Danielle driving by was oddly suspicious. And I was not a believer of coincidences.

"This was no accident," I spat.