Follow Me

I couldn't think straight. Everything felt so messed up. I mean perhaps Ashton was really dead. Maybe this was a dream. And maybe I could open my eyes any second.

I watched as Sienna and Kevin vanished into thin air. The windows stopped rattling. And the wind stop blowing. It left my hair all over the place.

I wanted to cry more. First because my husband was dead. The love of my life was gone. Now I was just alone. And I never even got to tell him the news I wanted to say..

Secondly, my own friend wasn't even my own friend! She was a frickin ghost! A whole different person that I just found out about.

Thirdly, that I was alone. I was alone in this forsaken house.

I sat there on the couch wanting to bawl my eyes out, but I just couldn't. My tears were dry, there wasn't anymore left for me to let go.

How was I, ME, going to get this news to Ashton's mom? She would think I was responsible for all of this. I would get blamed...

I got up and fixed the papers that were scattered on the ground neatly into a stack, putting them on the table. I picked up the debris that was lying around from "the wind" that blew through the house.

That's when something hard hit me. And I collapsed onto the ground, helpless...

I groaned. My head ached. My mouth left dry, as if I hadn't drank anything for years.

I sat up, oblivious to my surroundings.

Before fully getting up, I sat there for a moment, gathering all my energy. As I became fully aware of where I was, I felt like this was a dream.

I stood up and realized I was somewhere foggy. I couldn't really make out the place. But it sure wasn't the house or at least I don't think so.

Walking more into the fog, some trees came into view. I looked around seeing only trees in plain sight.

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see someone. I really couldn't see the person. The fog was covering up their persona. All I could see really was there hand.

With just their hand, they got off my shoulder and put it out as if saying to take a hold of it.

At first I pulled back, but then I took it gently. Their fingers intertwined into my tightly.

I looked at the hand and it seemed to me it was a guy's hand, but I wasn't so sure.

They soon began to lead me into the fog. I could see nothing, but trees as if I was in a forest. The hand held on to me tight that it hurt my grasp.

Soon the voice spoke, "Follow me." I listened carefully to the words. I repeated those words in my head trying to make out their voice, but it was no use.

Our pace began increasing and by the time I realized, we were running. Running as if escaping something so horrid and threatening.

"Where are you taking me?," I asked out of breath. Perhaps the question I asked was disturbing because they came to a full stop that I almost bumped into them.

I squinted trying to see past the fog, that is when the fog began vanishing slowly. I looked at the person and realized who it was.

"Ashton?," I was confused as to where this would lead. He simply shook his head and tugged at my hand to keep on following him.

And so I did. This time we walked with calm. I began noticing Ashton's clothes were torn up and dirty. His hair was out of place. That is when I noticed he was the exact same way as when he died.

Just by looking at it made my heart sank. I felt lifeless and lost. He would simply glace back at me, half smiling.

After a while, we got to this sycamore tree. We stood in front of it and examined it. Ashton turned to me and pointed towards it. I was unaware as to what he was trying to tell me.

With that, I looked at it carefully, trying to make of what he was saying to me. I stared at it from the bottom all the way to the top of the green leaves.

I skimmed it with my eyes and right when I got to the middle, I noticed something. It had A + D on it carved. My eyes widen when I knew this tree was the one right outside of our house. The house that ruined my life..

I felt my heart race. My palms getting sweaty and decided to turn around.

There it was. The house that was just disgusting. The one that should have been knocked down when it had the chance.

I let go of his hand and started to walk towards it. The house looked dark as it has ever looked. Like in a dream where nothing has color as if it's suppose to be a nightmare. A real nightmare.

His hand went on my shoulder as if telling me to go in there and just shook his head with a serious expression on his face. I lightly gulped.

I was confused as to what I was doing here. Was this suppose to be a special meaning to this? What did all of this mean? But mainly, why?

Suddenly, there was a cry of a baby. I saw it and it looked so helpless on the grass. I nodded to Ashton signifying him I was going to approach the baby.

Just when I was about to pick it up, it vanished into thin air. The cries though, roared through my ears and I covered my ears, but it was no use.

My ears felt on fire, in pain, ready to explode. I knelt down and shut my eyes so tight.

Soon it stopped. It was gone. I could hear nothing anymore. It was really quiet now. I slowly opened my eyes and saw I was nowhere.

There wasn't anything in sight. Just pure blackness. I was lost. Lost forever....