Thirty Three

I'm beginning to believe Sam when he said he didn't want any trouble. Because when I called him the next day and l told him all my terms and conditions, he agreed. Walang anu-ano, ang importante lang daw sa kanya ay ang makita at makasama si Clyde.

Hindi rin siya umalma nang sinabi kong baka dalawang linggo o mahigit pa bago ko siya papayagang makita si Clyde. He was very calm and told me that I can take all the time I need to talk to my son for him to be ready.

It's quite shocking to learn that he's on that level of understanding. I was expecting him to push me so he could get what he wants, but everything is the exact opposite. Naiintindihan daw niya na malaking desisyon ito para sa buhay ni Clyde. A big step on knowing who he really was. Ayaw naman daw niyang magulat ang bata at sa huli kamuhian siya.

Mitch is not happy when I told her about everything that is happening. Galit na galit na siya gusto niyang umuwi ng Pilipinas para lang daw masapak si Sam. You know her, she'd die for Clyde and I know the hurt and fear she must've felt.

The events also didn't make anything easy for Gio and me.

Even if he doesn't admit it, I know this Sam bomb strained our relationship. Kaya lagi ko siyang tinatanong kung okay lang ba siya sa mga nangyayari. Wala naman akong ibang naririnig na sagot kundi, 'Oo' at 'Gagawin ko lahat para sa inyo ni Clyde.'

And it was such a bittersweet feeling to hear it. It breaks my heart whenever I look at him and miss the happiness in his eyes. Alam kong napapagod na siya, pero mas pinipili niyang manatili para tulungan ako sa mabigat na pagsubok na 'to.

After a week of readying Clyde for his meeting with Sam. I decided to tell Gio's parents the truth about my son. Halatang gulat siya sa sinabi ko, nagtataka dahil napag-usapan na namin noon na wala ng ibang makakaalam.

I just put Clyde to sleep and later joined Gio in his office. He was burning the midnight oil since he has a lot of work stuff to catch on. Maraming time kasi ang ginugugol namin sa therapy sessions ni Clyde lalo na't pasimula pa lang.

Gio was the one who suggested it. He said that he doesn't want Clyde experiencing trauma with all of that is happening and that we actually have no idea how to lay it out on him lightly so might as well consult a specialist.

"Hey..." I called after I pushed the door lightly.

He jerked his head up and immediately stopped writing. He looked beat. "Hey, wifey. Just what I needed. Come here." He pushed his seat as he taps his lap.

I willingly obliged. Naupo ako sa kandunga niya saka sumandal sa balikat niya.

"I'm sorry, if I can't join you to bed early again today. Marami pa kasi akong kailangang tapusin." Sambit niya. I was mesmerized by the way his Adam's apple bopped while he speaks that it took me a while to answer him.

"Actually, I came here to talk to you about something."

"What's up?" He said those two words so calmly but the way he gulped gave him away.

I rose my head to look him in the eyes, "Let's tell your parents the truth about Clyde."

It was clear that he was stunned. "A-are you sure? I thought we agreed to lock that up in a case never to be opened?"

"That was before this is happening, before Sam. Sabi ko naman sa'yo, hanggang ngayon gulong-gulo pa rin ako. Maybe, your parents' intuition will lead us to a clearer way? I don't know. But it felt right telling them."

Tahimik lang siya at alam kong nag-iisip siya.

"Natatakot akong sabihin sa kanila, sa totoo lang. But Clyde isn't getting any younger, soon that secret will set out a nuclear bomb if we keep it in the wraps. Naalala mo 'yong sinabi ng therapist? That I should've told Clyde more about his real parents, na dapat hindi ko tinago–"

"Hey, hey, hey. None of that. Stop blaming yourself. You were young and have to make decisions without any idea of the consequences." He was quick to put my self-pity to a stop.

He cupped my cheek with his palm, giving my lips a thumb rub. "I'm sorry, marami kasi akong iniisip lately."

"I know, wifey. I know." He nestled me in his arms and gave me what I needed, strength and will power to get through this. "I'll talk to mom and dad if we can meet them tomorrow."

His parents took the news better than I expected. Nalaman ko rin na ampon pala si Mommy Flora. We were both crying as we held hands while she repeatedly said that she was in awe on how strong I was for choosing to have Clyde instead of the good life Clare's parents offered me.

Daddy George on the other hand, advised that we should pursue legal counsel. I am lying if I said that didn't spark a light of hope in my heart. But destiny has no intention of letting us rest.

"I'm going to be honest, George. We're really going to fight tooth and nail if ever this goes to court." Tito Eldrick, the lawyer and Daddy George's good friend, muttered.

"We will take whatever chance we got. This is my grandson we're talking here." Daddy George said authoritatively.

"Lexy, you mentioned that a friend's lawyer told you about the Article 212 of the Family Code." Napatango ako. "While it is true na may loophole nga ito, na hindi naman talaga present si Sam when Clyde was born, but this may eventually backfire."

"Please, elaborate Tito Eldrick." Gio uttered, gripping my hand so tight that it hurts. But I was too numb to complain, my head is spinning, and I am close to breaking into tears.

"Article 214 of the Family Code; In case of death, absence or unsuitability of the parents, the substitute parental authority shall be exercised by the surviving grandparent. In case several survive, the on designated by the court, taking into account the same consideration mentioned in the preceding article, shall exercise the authority.'"

"But Tito, she did contact Clare's parents." Paglalaban ni Gio.

Napailing si Tito Eldrick, "They refused, right? But did she contact Sam or his parents? No. Also, she isn't 21 when she took in Clyde. The law stipulates that the in case there is a need for substitute parental authority, the child's actual custodian should be over twenty-one years of age, unless unfit or disqualified. Doon pa lang talo na tayo."

Gio's face was turning into a shade of red and I know he's trying his best not to shout. "Hindi ba natin pwedeng ilaban na inabandona ng putang inang 'yon si Clare nang nagbubuntis siya?!"

"Wala tayong proof. It's his words against ours. Pwede niya tayong baliktarin, pwede niyang sabihin na pinili ni Lexy itago sa kanya ang bata. She can be charged for kidnapping and serious illegal detention. He has the upper hand; it's infuriating but it is true. Pwede natin ilaban ito, but there's a very small possibility that we'll win the kid's custody. Lalo na't sabik siya sa anak niya. If you are trying this hard to find a probable reason for us to win this case, imagine the preparations he's doing." Saka ginawi sa akin ni Tito Eldrick ang tingin niya. "Lexy, you are really brave for doing those things and I have high respect for that. Pero isipin mo na lang na magulang din si Sam, at parang ikaw wala siyang ibang gagawin para sa karapatan sa anak niya. You may be his mom, but the law says Sam is the legal parent."