More than just gratitude

It was a special day. A day of love, hearts, roses and chocolates to your special someone. Only one member of the group was aware of the day and she was beaming in delight at the possible outcome of being with Ash.

"Look at all the hearts!" Bonnie awed at the shops they passed.

"What do you expect on a day like Valentine's Day?" Serena chirped.

"Oh my! I forgot! Today would be the perfect day to find Clemont a keeper." Bonnie remarked.

"Bonnie." Clemont groaned. "I've told you not to do this a million times."

"What's the big deal about Valentine's Day?" Ash asked.

"Well Ash, Valentine's Day is a day for people to show how much they care about another person. Especially for couples. This holiday can also be a perfect time to tell someone your true feelings. Like who you might have a crush on or someone who you know has a special place in your heart." Serena informed.

"Ok, I get it." Ash nodded, taking in what she said.

"So...um...does anyone come to mind?" Serena questioned, a light blush dusted her cheeks.

"Actually, yeah." Ash answered, bashfully.

"Any sweet gifts for this special girl? I'd be happy to help you." Serena chirped.

"That'd be great, thanks." Ash remarked.

"Ash and I are going shopping." Serena called to the two siblings.

"Ok, I'll be trying to find Clemont a really good keeper." Bonnie waved then ran off.

"Bonnie! Get back here!" Clemont scolded, chasing after her.

Ash and Serena went into several shops, but nothing caught Ash's eye. Serena on the other hand couldn't get enough of the cute holiday memorabilia.

"Anything yet?" Serena asked.

"No. I'm sure she would like any of these, but I want it to be special. Something that can make her see how important she is to me. Something to show how close we are." Ash responded.

"Wow." Serena muttered, touched by his words. "For someone who didn't know about Valentine's Day, you sure know what you're looking for." She paused. While this was really sweet, she didn't need any of this. "You know Ash don't need-"

Something suddenly caught Ash's eye. "Was that what I think it is?" He went to a flower shop window. It was indeed what he thought.

"What is it?" Serena appeared beside him.

"It's the gracidea flower." Ash smiled. "That's what I need!" Ash raced into the floor shop and up to the counter.

"What can I help you with, sir?" The lady behind the desk asked.

"I would like a bouquet of gracidea flowers, please." Ash replied.

"Showing someone special some gratitude?" She asked. Ash nodded eagerly. "Might I suggest, if it is for something special, that you add something. Such as a rose."

"A rose?" Ash hummed in thought. That's when he remembered something about a certain color of rose. "Yeah." He then whispered his request, slightly embarrassed.

"Yes, I can do that." She beamed and began to arrange the flowers. Serena silently joined him. "Oh, is this the lucky girl?"

"Oh, no. This is for someone else." Ash answered.

'For...someone else.' Serena thought sadly.

"Well, whoever she is, I'm sure she will love these." The lady assured.

"I hope so." Ash smiled. He then noticed something else to add. "I'd also like one of these." He places it on the counter.

A few minutes later, the flowers were wrapped and payed for. Ash and Serena were walking back to the group. Serena had grown quite and Ash wouldn't stop worrying about if this girl would like them.

"Ooo! Ash, those are pretty!" Bonnie admired the pretty bouquet.

"Thanks. I hope she likes them." Ash stated nervously. "Now I just need to find a way to get them to her."

Bonnie looked to Serena confused. Serena shook her head, indicating it wasn't her.

"Who is it for?" Bonnie questioned.

"A girl I used to travel with. Her name is Dawn." Ash smiled.

"Ash?"

The four shot to the voice and saw a girl with blue hair, a pink and black dress with a white beanie.

"Dawn!" Ash jumped, pulling the flowers behind his back as he turned to fully face her. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to visit you." Dawn answered, clearly interested what was behind his back. "What do you have there?"

"Oh, um..." Ash blushed, nervously. He took in a deep breath and shook his head. He was going to do this, regardless of if he was rejected. "I got these... for you." He revealed the bouquet.

"Gracidea flowers." Dawn beamed, accepting the flowers from him. "Thank you Ash. These are beautiful." She sniffed in the sweet aroma.

"There is more." Ash remarked. "In the center."

Dawn gently shuffled through the flowers and pulled out a lovely red rose. Dawn's gaze flicked back to met Ash. She knew what a single red rose meant, but did he?

"Is this..?" Dawn trailed off, holding up the rose.

"Yeah." Ash took in another deep breath. "Dawn, those flowers are my way of showing you how important you are to me. All you have done for me, from brightening my day when I am down, to helping me with the littlest things. You have inspired me and encouraged me like no one else. To say I'm in graduate to you would be an understatement. And to top it off, you're this absolutely amazing, talented, and most beautiful girl I hav ever met. I couldn't help but fall in love with you."

Dawn smiled, tears of joy slipping down her face. "Oh, Ash. I love you too."

Ash returned the smile, relieved he didn't ruin their friendship.

"And, no matter what..." Ash paused, retrieving something else from the bouquet. It was a gracidea charm necklace. Ash dropped it over her head as he continued. "...I want you to know how grateful I am to know a girl as amazing as you are."

Dawn couldn't wait a second longer. She was touched. Truly touched my his kind words and action. Taking advantage of his closeness, she leaned the short distance and met his lips. Ash quickly kissed her back, enjoying the feeling. Dawn dropped the flowers, pulling him closer and Ash followed the action.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Ash breathed when they parted.

"I'd love to." Dawn beamed.

From that day on, Ash and Dawn where officials a couple. They still loved and cared for the other, even when there was a great distance between the. And it was all thanks to a bouquet of gracidea flowers.

THE END!!!