The kiss of life

Out of everything that could have happened that day, this was the last thing Dawn expected. It all started so well. A nice day spent with Ash, after so much time apart. They were having a great time together and it felt like when they were younger, only better.

Until it happened. She had her head turned for just a moment to look at something in a store window and he had stepped into the street.

"Hey Dawn! Are you coming?" Ash called.

Just as Dawn turned to face him, an oncoming car hit him.

"Ash!"

Everything after that happened so quickly, Dawn couldn't even keep track.

Now, she sat just outside Ash's hospital room and waited for the doctors to give her the news. Dawn was still in a state of shock as she stared at the floor. She couldn't believe something like this could happen to him. The most wonderful person she knew.

The door to Ash's room clicked open and a doctor and some nurses stepped out.

"Excuse me, but you are here for Mr. Ketchum?"

"Yes!" Dawn jumped to her feet. "Is...is he ok?"

The medical professions exchanged a worried look.

"It will take a lot...but you might want to spend as much time as you can."

Dawn's heart dropped. She could lose him, the most important person in her life. How could this have happened?

"C-can...can I see him?" Dawn stuttered.

The doctors nodded and stepped aside. Dawn entered the room and saw Ash laying in the bed with all kinds of machines connected to him. He looked weak and tired. It was so foreign and hard to watch, but Dawn pulled through.

"A-Ash?" Dawn chocked, on the verge of tears.

He slowly turned to her and gave her a weak smile.

"Hi Dawn." Ash muttered.

"Hey...how are you feeling?" Dawn asked, stepping closer to him.

Ash's smile fell as he looked away for a moment. The doctors made it clear that he most likely wouldn't make it through this. Not with all the damages done to his body.

"Not good." Ash replied. "The doctors say...I won't make it. There is too much damage...it's a miracle I'm still alive now. I might only have-"

"No...no! I won't stand for it!" Dawn exclaimed.

"But Dawn." Ash tried to interject.

"No! You are a fighter, Ash! You have never let the odds stop you before, no matter what stood against you! You fought! So why stop now? Why give up when you need to fight the most? Why!" Dawn cried.

Hot, pain filled tears rapidly ran down her cheeks. She couldn't take it. Ash, the strongest person she knew, was giving up.

"Dawn...I..." Ash reached out to her.

"I...I'm sorry...I can't." Dawn sobbed.

Then she ran out of the room as fast as she could. She had to get away from this, from the pain. It was too much for the poor girl to handle and even harder to go with her tears blurring her sight. She nearly bumped into Ash's mom as she exited the hospital.

"I'm sorry." Dawn squeaked as she ran past.

She bolted to her room at the Pokémon center and collapsed in the bed. Dawn continued to cry as she laid in the quiet of the room.