Under the moonlight

It was supposed to be perfect. They would meet in a pretty little meadow after dark. The moon would be bright and light everything up in the most beautiful way. He would gently hold her hands and tell her how he feels and they were going to be happy. However, it never happened.

Now, instead of the perfect moment, Ash was waiting anxiously in a hospital lobby with Pikachu napping next to him. His leg shook up and down rapidly as he glanced at the clock every few seconds.

He had already called and told Johanna and Dawn's other friends what happened. So he didn't really have much else to do but worry. It felt like it had been hours since he brought her in but it hadn't been that long.

Earlier that very day, Ash had found Dawn laying unconscious on the forest floor. No matter what he tried, she wouldn't wake up. So, seeing no other option, he brought her to the hospital.

"You're here for Dawn Berlitz?" A Nurse asked.

"Yes." Ash stood up. "Is she ok?" Pikachu woke up as well and jumped up on his shoulder.

"She is but I should tell you...she has some amnesia." The Nurse informed.

"Amnesias? Like...she doesn't remember anything?" Ash questioned shakily.

"It's tuff to say. Each case is different. I suggest you go see for yourself." The nurse motioned for him to follow.

Ash nodded and went to go talk with Dawn. All the while, he hoped that it wasn't too bad. That she still remembered him.

Ash stepped in the doorway of her room and looked in a moment before making his presence known. Dawn was sitting up in her hospital bed. A bandage wrapped around her head which replaced her beanie.

"Dawn?" Ash questioned as he entered her room.

They locked eyes and for a second, he thought she remembered him. Then, without warning, the room was suddenly filled with people. All her friends and family pushed past Ash to interrogate the amnesias struck girl.

As much as Ash wanted to talk to her, he stepped out. He knew she must be overwhelmed right now and he didn't want to add to it. So, he decided to come back later. When things were more relaxed and he could talk to her alone.

Unfortunately, he never got that chance to talk with her alone. She was discharged from the hospital before he had the chance. Though he did find her later but he was in for an unfortunate surprise.

"Hey Dawn." Ash declared as he approached her.

Dawn turned with a look of surprise. It was then that he knew, she didn't remember him.

"Hi. Do we know each other?" Dawn asked.

"Yeah..." Ash replied slowly. "We are actually-"

"Hey De de! I'm back!" Kenny called as he ran up to her.

"Hi honey." Dawn remarked.

"Honey?" Ash questioned.

"Of course. That's what she should call her boyfriend." Kenny retorted. "Right?" He threw his arm around her.

Ash just stared at the two in shock. Since when were they together? Dawn never mentioned it before and they were, ARE best friends. She would have told him. Not to mention how uncomfortable she looked with Kenny right now.

"Since when?" Ash asked, completely baffled. "Because I've never heard of this and I'm your best friend."

"What?" Dawn questioned, her eyes flicked between Kenny and Ash. "But you said we had been together for at least a year. If that were true, he would have know." Dawn gestured to Ash.