Chapter Eight

Aiden P.O.V.

I did my best to give him the aftercare that he needed, but he went to sleep before I could finish assessing him. The fact that he submerged into subspace so easily with me threw me for a loop. He was a natural submissive. He had to be. And the fact that he trusted me enough to slip into that space caused the part of me that I kept locked away to start scratching at the walls. I was coming to terms with it. I wanted to be his Dominant.

I needed it.

I woke up to find the other side of my bed empty. I shot up, immediately calling out for him. "Ace...Ace!" What the hell? Where did he go?

"Here..." The voice was soft and floaty, definitely Ace's, and it sounded like it was coming from my balcony. I made my way to the sliding door to find it open just a crack. Ace was sitting in one of the chairs, folded up into a blanket. He was staring off into space. I wasn't sure he was even looking at the scenery. More than likely, he was thinking of something else. It was easy for me to recognize that he was in sub drop. What wasn't easy to figure out was how it was affecting him and how I could bring him back up.

I sat down in the chair opposite him and looked over at him. He didn't look back at me, just kept staring into space. "What's going through your head right now?"

"I...don't know actually. I just feel...off." He finally turned towards me with a sad look in his eyes.

I sighed, gripping the arms of my chair to bring it closer to his own. "It's normal to feel that way right now." I leaned down and pulled his legs up so that his feet rested in my lap. He had pretty feet for a dancer. They were smooth, but I could see some scarring from floor burns when his skin scrapes the ground. He said nothing as I started to rub his legs, but it was soothing him. His shoulders visibly relaxed.

"Why are you so nice to me?"

I laughed without thinking. Didn't we go over this already? "Do you expect me to be mean to you?" Wrong move Aiden. Don't make fun of him right now.

"No, I mean- Forget it." Shit.

"No, I apologize. I shouldn't have laughed. You just caught me off guard. People being unkind to you is not the rule of life, it's the exception. Or at least that's how it should be. What made you ask?"

"I only have one friend and I only met her when I started my job. She's my best friend, but everyone else who has passed through my life has either left me or hurt me. Sometimes both." He definitely had been through a lot and his age was starting to show through his insecurities. Things he hadn't come to terms with were eating at him.

"Look at me...Look at me." I put a more authoritative tone in my voice the second time and he obliged, turning to face me. "I will always be open and honest with you. I'm not leaving you right now, unless you push me away. Are you pushing me away?"

He lifted the side of his mouth slightly. "No. Not yet anyway." His fake smile lifted into a slightly real one before falling away again. "You said it was normal for me to feel this way. Does that mean you know why I feel like this? Does it have anything to do with what happened last night?"

I sighed. As much as I didn't want to talk about this with him right now, I wasn't about to sit and lie to him, especially not after I told him I was going to be open and honest. I wouldn't break one of my rules.

"I do."

"Did you think I asked because I didn't want to know?" My face immediately showed my disapproval of his attitude and before I even got a chance to say anything, he lowered his head. "I'm sorry, I'm just feeling a little disoriented right now."