Chapter Thirty-Five

Aiden and I did nothing but talk for the next three hours. I would ask questions, he would tell a story, and sometimes I would get a piece of a memory back. It didn't work all the time, but the fact that I was able to remember some helped me become much more comfortable with hearing the stories that I couldn't remember.

Before, it was like I was hearing someone else's story, like I had no attachment to it whatsoever. Now, it felt like someone was reminding me of something, like it actually could have been my life.

This whole time he knew all these things about me and I knew nothing about him.

"Why are you still here?" I mumbled.The words just tumbled out of my mouth as I stared at a shadow on his- or our, I suppose, bedroom wall.

He snorted. "Am I supposed to be going somewhere?"

I turned my head to him, letting out a laugh. "Sorry, I just...I was just thinking."

He came closer to me, resting his hand on my thigh, his face concerned. "About what? Me leaving?"

I tilted my head from side to side. "Kind of. More so about why you didn't leave."

"Because you never asked me to."

I was silent for a moment. "That's all I had to do?" I asked playfully, widening my eyes to play off an incredulous look. I smiled after a second to show him that I was kidding. I didn't intend to hurt his feelings.

Relief washed over his face. "Well, I'm glad you didn't."

"Are you serious though? You would have left if I had asked you to?"

The corner of his mouth lifted in a grimace. "And here I was thinking that I was doing a good job being a..."

"A what?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. I'm thinking about something else. I just meant-"

"Oh!" Jesus, how dense was I? He was talking about being a Dom.

Holy shit, I was a sub.

Or at least I used to be. That was still unclear, but by his reaction, he was just as confused as I was about the situation. Little flashes of memories had me staring at the comforter that we were sitting on, focusing on a piece of thread that was laying across the black fabric.

"Ace?"

"Sorry, continue!" I clasped my hands together.

He eyed me for a moment before speaking again. "I was just saying that I wanted you to know that I always want the best for you and you're always free to make your own decisions and I'll respect them. Always. No matter how I feel about them."

This conversation was giving me a serious sense of deja vu.

I used my hands to scoot me close the headboard and rested my back against it. I opened my legs slightly and reached out my hand to wave him over. "Come here."

He smiled and hesitated, but after I patted the spot in front of me, he obliged and shifted over until he was sitting in front of me, right where I wanted him.
I placed my legs over his and scooted closer to him so that we were hugging, with my arms wrapped around his shoulders. He assumed a natural position with his hands wrapped around me, rubbing circles into my back as I breathed into his neck. This felt so comfortable.

It was crazy to think that yesterday, I would've never even imagined doing this to him. It was almost overwhelming.

Scratch that, I was overwhelmed.

For a few moments, he was oblivious to my tears, but I knew that wouldn't last for long. I didn't make a sound but as soon as the first drop left my face, he felt it and tried to pull back to look at me.