Chapter Thirty-Eight

Aiden P.O.V.

Something about the takeoff of a plane just sent my body into shock. I didn't mind being in the air. Landing was a bit shaky but I could get through it. Takeoff, however, was an absolute bitch.

I think it had something to do with the fact that the plane bobbled so much in the beginning and there was nothing I could do about it.

Except I didn't mind flying in a helicopter, so I don't fucking know.

It was just these goddamn planes.

I took a step back to allow Ace to take his seat by the window. Thankfully, he loved the window seat because I hated it. For all reasons listed above. I didn't want to see a thing during takeoff. I'd rather be knocked out, but I didn't want to self medicate for something so trivial. It was manageable, but fucking barely.

Ace had just woken up from a nap before boarding, so I could feel his newfound energy without even looking at him. While he was preoccupied with the window and his phone, I scanned the people who were boarding, adjusting myself so that their bags didn't smack me in the face. Some people just had no sense of self awareness.

Look at me, trying to focus my attention on anything other than the inevitable.

But soon enough, the captain was giving us our sendoff and the flight attendants were starting their spiel that no one really paid attention to anymore. I could feel my nerves spiking as I pressed my head into the back of the seat.

Ace leaned over, speaking lowly. "I'm freezing." He told me, rubbing his hands together. Freezing? He shouldn't be freezing. I lifted a hand to his forehead. It was a normal temperature, not a drop of sweat. I tried his hands and they weren't cold either. I made sure he was wearing a jacket. The cabin wasn't even cold. I made sure that his fan wasn't blowing on him. Nothing. He shouldn't be cold.

"You're not sick are you?" As much as I wanted to believe I knew everything about his body, there were just some things that he would always be able to recognize better than me.

He shook his head. "No, just cold."

I released the death grip I had on my arm rests in order to reach under my seat and pull out a blanket that I'd brought for when he went to sleep. We were going to land at night, so I didn't really want him to be sleeping too much at the wrong time.

After wrapping him in the blanket, he laid his head on my shoulder and held out his hand. "You're warm."

"Are you tired?" I asked as I wrapped my hand in his.

"No, not at all. I just like when you hold my hand." He shifted his head a little. "I'm glad we get to redo this whole thing, you know?" He was referring to our last trip. Last time didn't end very well at all, but Dr. Hayes convinced us that we should try again and create new memories, which led directly into my plans. It was all working perfectly. Unless he was sick. "Aren't you glad?"

I don't even know if glad was all-encompassing enough to describe how I felt.

"Aiden?" I came out of the bathroom quickly to find Ace sitting up in bed, rubbing his eyes. He almost looked like a little kid.

"I'm right here, kitten." I slid into the bed, using a hand to guide his head back down to the pillow. I rubbed circles in his arms as we both stared up at the ceiling.

He let out a small burst of laughter. "My ass hurts."

I smiled to myself. "You were the one that wanted to fly, remember?" I teased.

"And fly I did." He murmured. He closed his eyes. "Thank you."

I pressed a few kisses to his shoulder. "No, thank you." He was the one giving me the gift.