21.

As Mom braided my hair, I was nervous.

"Haley, you'll be fine. Stop shaking," Mom laughed.

"Mom, do I look good?" I asked.

"You look, great honey. You will be fine. I bet Vitali will be flown away by your beauty," sarcastically said Mom.

I laughed. Today was homecoming night and I don't know why I wasn't feeling super good. I exhaled and calmed myself down.

I'll be fine.

I walked downstairs and checked my self out in the mirror. Mom braided my hair into a fishtail braid and I had a red dress on. I put on a tad bit of red lipstick and blush.

"Come here," said Mom as she hugged me.

"Look at my daughter, you are such a big girl now Haley," cried Mom as she hugged me tighter.

I laughed.

I took a sip of water and waited for Vitali to come pick me up.

After about 5 minutes, a black car pulled up in the driveway. It was a really nice car, I believe it was a Ford Mustang. I then went outside and greeted Vitali. He had a black tuxedo on and a red bow tie. He had his hair slick back and had some pieces of hair hanging down on the right side.

"Wow, you look gorgeous."

"Thank you and so are you," I blushed.

Vitali went in for a hug and I could smell his strong cologne. He always smelled good, but today he even smelled better.

Vitali and I waved at Mom whilst Mom blew us a kiss.

Vitali opened the passenger seat door for me. It was such chivalry of him.

The car smelled great. I didn't know he owned a Ford Mustang.

"This isn't my car," Vitali laughed.

"Oh. Whose is it?"

"I rented it. This is actually my dream car and I rented it just for today for us."

"Wow. Vitali you didn't have to do that," I said.

"I'd do anything for you, Haley." Vitali turned to me and held my thigh. I'm not gonna lie, my area tingled a little as he said that.

As we finally got to school, Vitali opened the car door for me and we went inside the main entrance. There were a bunch of couples and everybody looked drop-dead gorgeous. I said hi to a couple of my friends and there were "oohs and aahs." People didn't really expect me and Vitali to be together.

We then grabbed a couple of drinks and I saw Maeve and Issac.

Maeve smiled at me and I smiled back.

She was beautiful. Her bright yellow dress was literally glowing.

Issac looked shy since that incident with Johnathan. Issac smiled at me. At least he felt regret.

As I turned back to leave with Vitali, he started to make conversation.

"You're Maeve right?" asked Vitali to Maeve.

"Oh hey. Yes, I am. And you're Vitali correct?"

"Indeed. Hi Issac."

"Hey," Issac responded.

I just stood there with awkwardness. I didn't want to talk to both of them at all but Vitali was a talkative person. I can tell that he loves starting conversation and is a bubbly person overall.

I believe Vitali wanted me and Maeve to be friends again.

"I've heard about you Maeve. Haley has told me a lot about you," said Vitali to Maeve.

Oh fuck. Why would you ever say that? Now my boyfriend is talking to my ex.

I nervously giggled and went on my phone. There was no other choice.

"Hey, I'm gonna go use the restroom now," I said.

"Oh okay," responded Vitali as he continued talking to Maeve and Issac.

I barged into a bathroom stall and sat down. I encountered what just happened. Honestly, I was feeling so many things at the same time. I was mad at Vitali for making a conversation with Maeve and especially telling her that I told him about Maeve.

I couldn't help but just cry. I was sad to see Maeve with another person honestly. And do I even have real feelings for Vitali? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. What the fuck am I even saying?

I broke down. It has been the worst night so far. I honestly still loved Maeve, but at the same time, I love Vitali too. Maybe I should just take a break for a while and give some time alone just for me.

I got a text from Vitali.

Vitali: Hey, you good?

Me: Yeah, I'm fine. Ran into my teacher.

Vitali: Oh okay, I'm sitting in one of the bleachers outside the gym.

Me: Alright.

I went outside the school building and went to the bleachers. I saw Vitali waiting for me with two drinks beside him.

"Hey."

"Hey," I responded as I shivered.

"You cold?"

"No, I'm fine."

Vitali then took his suit off and put it on my shoulders. He scooted closer to me and held me.

"I know you were crying," Vitali broke the silence.

Damn, he already knows me so well.

"I'm sorry Haley. I didn't know you would react that bad. Honestly, I made convo with Maeve because I want you guys to be friends again."

"No I get that but it's my choice, Vitali. It's my business whether or not I wanna become friends with her again. What you did was just out of the ordinary, honestly, I didn't expect it at all," I explained.

"I know, I'm really sorry okay? You are right. It wasn't my place to do that."

I wanted to get things straightened out. The truth hurts but I should tell him sooner or later.

"Look, Vitali, it's been great since you came to Longdale. And honestly, you have put me off of my mind on negative things and you just have this vibe that I love. But I don't think we can work long term. I'm gonna admit, I'm not completely over Maeve and it pissed me off seeing her with Issac and I still need closure from her. I'm telling you this because if I lead you on, I'm scared I'm gonna break your heart. I really really like you but, for now, I just need a rest and give myself some time alone."

I honestly felt so better after I said that. But I could see Vitali's eyes turn smaller. His big brown eyes disappeared and I could sense this sadness just burst out of him. But I needed to tell him.

There was silence for 3 minutes. I kept looking at Vitali.

"Yeah. No, I get it."

"Mhm," I smiled.

"Come here Vitali," I gave him a hug.

"I don't deserve you, Vitali. You have such a great heart and honestly, you deserve someone way better than me," I said.

"Never. Just know, I'm always waiting for you. Tell me when you're ready. I'm not going to give up on you just like that," muttered Vitali.

I giggled.

"Well, you do you."

That night I decided to walk home. I was glad Vitali handled it so well. It was fun while it lasted. But I really need that closure from Maeve. And fuck why can't I get her out of my head.