24.

I texted Vitali that I was already at Starbucks. I took out my binder and took out my winter break homework assigned by Ms. Rincon.

After about 5 mins, I ordered an Americano and a cheese danish. Finally, I saw Vitali skate over to the cafe.

"Hey!"

"Hi Vitali," I said.

"Are you seriously gonna do work?" asked Vitali.

"Um yeah," I said.

"What you're not?" I asked.

"I'm not gonna do work. We are here to vent," Vitali said as he sat down next to me.

I laughed.

He ordered a Caramel Frappe.

"Haley," muttered Vitali.

"Since you and Maeve are off for real now, do you consider us?" said Vitali with his eyes wide open and looking at me intensely in my eyes.

His eyes were desperate.

"Vitali. I already told you I need a break for myself. I do like you but I don't really wanna do relationships right now," I explained.

Vitali looked sad and discouraged.

But I needed to be honest with him.

"It's really hard for me to get over you Haley," he said as he fidgeted with his fingers.

"I'm sorry Vitali," I said again.

"It's fine. I'll give you time but I will always be waiting for you," he said.

We drank our drinks and I worked on the summer homework Ms. Rincon assigned.

"Vitali you should do your work."

"Fine, I will. Help me through. I hate this bullshit."

"I will."

He laughed as he took out his work.

We worked together on the questions and talked about random stuff.

Suddenly this started to make me think about Maeve.

Maeve and I always used to do our school work together and we would always hang out and talk just like Vitali and I was doing.

Honestly, I really miss her.

Fuck it. I'm gonna call Maeve right now. I realized that we have been best friends since little kids and I don't want to end our friendship just cause of lie. I decided to text her.

"Vitali."

"Hm?" he said while focusing on his work.

"I'm gonna call Maeve. I'm gonna tell her that I forgive her. I seriously miss her and I don't want to call it off just because of a lie like this. We've been best friends since forever," I explained.

"Yeah. Do it."

I went ahead and searched for Maeve's number in my contacts. I immediately called her.

After about 4 rings she answered.

"Hey," I said

"Hey, Haley."

"Look. I forgive you and I seriously miss you so much. I miss all the stupid things we do and honestly, you've been my best friend for years and I knew it was a bad idea dating your best friend. But besides that we've been together since little kids and I forgive you. I want to be your friend again," I explained as I ran out of my breath.

"Yeah, yeah. That's great. Thank you so much literally, Haley. I'm seriously so sorry about every shitty thing I did to you and I'm especially sorry for that. I know I should've just told you I lost feelings and that I'm straight but I did the complicated way," responded Maeve.

I could tell she was really happy with her tone.

"Alright great. So friends again right?"

"Yes, friends again," responded Maeve.

I ended the call to see Vitali looking at me sadly.

I felt bad for him.

"What's wrong?" I asked knowing I know what's wrong.

"Nothing," he said as she continued doing his work.

I didn't want to bring it up anymore.

I worked on m