Chapter 4🩸

May 8, 1994
Desire Hemera

After my conversation with K-Ci the other day, and much convincing, I decided to come back to the damn bar. K-Ci obviously came by with me just to see who Mary was and Jojo tagged along because he didn't want to be home alone. Jo really saved my ass the other day when we bumped into DeVanté and Stephen. I haven't really seen anyone from high school since I graduated and I highly doubt anyone would remember me anyway because I never spoke to anyone all 4 years, unless it was class related. My eye colour changed when I turned so when Stephen bombarded me with that question, I was just going to say they were contacts and hope that neither him or DeVanté would notice that they weren't.

"Once again, I'd like to welcome to the stage someone who graces us with her incredible voice each and every weekend. Please give a round of applause for Ms. Mary J. Blige!" The announcer introduced Mary as she walked on to the stage with a smile and waved at the audience. DeVanté, the drummer boy and the guitarist who works at the bar followed behind her and got into their spots.

I lightly nudged K-Ci, "that's him." I whispered in his ear and pointed to DeVanté.

The music started playing and Mary began to sing while K-Ci brought his attention to her and watched her in awe.

' I will love you anyway, even if you cannot stay
I think you are the one for me
Here is where you ought to be
I just wanna satisfy ya
'Cause you're not mine and I can't deny it
Don't you hear me talkin', baby?
Love me now or I'll go crazy

Whoa, sweet thing
Don't you know you're my everything?
Whoa, sweet thing
Don't you know you're my everything?
Yes, you are... '

I looked over at Jojo who was smiling and moving his head to the beautiful music. I looked back at K-Ci who was extra focused on the performance. "You like it?" I leaned in and asked him with a grin.

"Shhhh.." he waved me off, not taking his eyes off Mary. I chuckled and leaned back in my seat.

As I softly swayed my body in my chair, I could feel DeVanté staring at me intensely while he played the piano.

This man has some real talent. I swear he hasn't looked down once since he started playing.

The smell of his blood has gotten stronger since he noticed me sitting here but luckily, Mary's wonderful voice is keeping me from flying across this table.

The group went on to perform 5 more songs while the audience either listened or mingled amongst one another. K-Ci kept his attention on his crush while Jojo and I held our own conversation.

I made my way over to the bar to get another glass of wine once the show ended. Right when I was about to pay, I felt a strong presence appear from behind me and I knew exactly who it was from his smell.

"I got it. Keep the change." DeVanté said as he handed the bartender a 10 dollar bill. I looked up at him, "you didn't have to do that but thank you." I politely said as I gave him soft smile.

"It's cool. You like the show today?" He asked with a cute smirk on his face. I nodded and sipped my wine, "mhm, you guys always do an amazing job. My friend also has a little thing for Mary." I lightly chuckled as I glanced over at K-Ci who was in deep conversation with Jojo.