Chapter 1 🖤

May 1, 1994
DeVanté Swing

She started coming here every Sunday, about 3 months ago, just to hear me play

She started coming here every Sunday, about 3 months ago, just to hear me play. I don't know who she is or where she came from but she's beautiful. I mean, I haven't really seen much of what she looks like up close because I'm always looking at her from the stage while I work these piano keys. But if she's already this gorgeous from where I usually see her, she must be something serious when face to face. Something about her presence captures my attention every time she's in here.

I play at this bar every weekend for local Brooklyn residents who just like to listen to some soulful shit whenever they're in the mood. My brother, Dalvin, plays the drums while a long time friend of ours, Mary, sings lead.

Aight so, this mystery woman that I'm so fascinated by might not be coming here just to watch me play the piano. I'm feeling myself a bit with that one. But I know she ain't here for Dalvin's ass. She could just be here for Mary's beautiful voice. Who knows? But I want to get to know her. And tonight, that's what's going to happen.

"Agh man!" I hissed at the pain of Dalvin throwing a drum stick at my head, disturbing me from my thoughts.

"Will you stop staring at that girl and come on?" He asked as he packed up his equipment. I just waved him off and brought my attention back to the beautiful woman.

I watched her as she took a sip from her drink. She slowly looked up and our eyes connected but that shit didn't even last 5 seconds. I must've scared her or something because she suddenly looked away, paid for her drink and basically ran out.

"Fuck." I said to myself before getting up from the piano seat that I've been sitting in for the past 20 minutes just staring at her.

I rushed through the bar to follow her outside, hoping I didn't lose her.

"De, where the hell are you going?!" Mary shouted but I paid no mind to her.

I finally reached the main door and as I stepped outside, I looked left and right to see if I could spot her. "There you are..." I smirked noticing her crossing the street and quickly followed behind. Once we got on the sidewalk, I made my move.

"Excuse me, miss?" She stopped in her tracks and slowly turned around to face me. My mouth then slightly dropped, "woah.." I mumbled to myself.

She was everything I said she would be from up close. She had innocence plastered all over her face. Her long black hair was neatly slicked back into a high ponytail, showing off her beautiful makeup-free skin that glistened like gold. Her medium sized lips that were lightly coated with some lipgloss, looked soft and kissable as hell. She stood there in front me at a height that was at least 5'7 in a black leather coat, tight black leather pants, and a black top that showed off her stomach and belly button ring. But what caught me off guard the most were her eyes. They were gorgeous and coloured, just like mine. Except hers were brighter, almost like a mustard colour. She reminded me of a werewolf. I couldn't help but wonder what our kids would look like.