Chapter 23

Tobias's POV

We offer cold stares to everyone in the building.

Zeke is the most pissed about this situation.

"Alright alright, let's leave this place before I slap some bitches." Zeke says gathering us together.

Like always I tune him out while he goes on about where we should go.

We leave.

And we run and run and run.

This whole survival plan is 50% running 10% killing 15% heartbreak 25% loneliness.

The running doesn't bother me like it first did.

We get to wherever we go, when we don't know what to do anymore.

I sit down and dream.

My whole life comes back in flashes.

My dad stinging me with a whip. The pain of trying to clean my wounds. My mom's death and then discovering that she was alive. The humiliation of covering up my scars. Not being able to run without my shirt. Telling lies about them when people look.

Tobias, I'm just trying to help you.

The zombie apocalypse might actually be paradise.

I feel my stomach twist.

It's okay it's okay he's not here anymore.

Tris grabs my hand a few memories later and rubs my knuckles.

I stare at her small hand.

It's strong.

I have never felt love, or compassion, but I do know.

And this feeling is a feeling I never want to let go of.

We're in a small house, four rooms totally, including the bathroom, everyone is in the living room.

It's only Christina, Uriah, Tris, Zeke, Shauna, Lynn, Tris and me.

We've lost three people. Three lives.

"You okay?" She whispers in my ear.

I give her a small smile and shake my head:
"But I'll manage."

"Are we staying here Zeke?" Uriah says, he used to say everything with enthusiasm, a smiled face. But now his smile fades and he says everything like his tired. Not like tired, sleep, but like tired of living.

He shakes his head, "we can't tomorrow we'll go out."

"But this place is fine, I haven't seen one walker since about a mile." I protest.

"Yeah a mile that's why we're going through those woods and walking farther away from there."

I shrug and stand up flipping Tris over my shoulders.

She squeals and I take her outside, grabbing a gun in the process.

I set her down and she fixes her clothes.

We don't have a lot of clothes as you would think, its not our first priority.

She wears black tank top, even though it's thirty degrees outside, she has black work out leggings and brown boots that are good for running.

Her slim body shows muscle all over, she's becoming stronger by the minute.

Nothing about her appearance is particularly special, but her eyes see straight into me. Her bright eyes demand attention, looking at her is like waking up.

I sit down and she sits next to me, our legs touching me.

"So what do you think?" I look at her.

"This house is small, I think Zeke is right though. As much distance from those walkers as possible."

"That's not what I mean, what do you think about everything." That's the only way I know how to put it.

She stares off into space, like she's looking for the answer there, "it's not real, it can't be."

I nod.

We sit there in silence.

"Do you think that we'll find a cure Tobias, get out of here?"

I shake my head, "I don't want to give myself false hope."

She stares at me and sighs.

I lace my hand with hers and she leans into my shoulder.

I tilt her head up and give her a warm kiss. We only have right now and I need to make her feel the way I do.

We hold onto the kiss like its the only thing we have.

Shivers go through me body.

We pull back and stare at each other's eyes.

We stare out into the sunset and I can't help to think about what would happen if we weren't here, how I would feel, how we would act.

How we would love.