Chapter 4

Even though it felt like a betrayal, as soon as Jason left, I rushed back to the house to see if you were still there. I hated the thought that you might leave without saying goodbye to me, that it might be just as long before I saw you again, if ever.

But I was headed toward the house when I saw you in the driveway. My parents weren't around, but you were unlocking your car, getting ready to leave. I couldn't let you.

I acted like it was a coincidence, walking over slowly like I had to go this way to get back into the house, even though I could go in through the back door just as easily.

"Lena!"

I pretended to startle and then smiled at you. "Mr. Warner. You scared me."

I swear you blushed in the light flowing onto the driveway through the windows of our vaulted entryway. "Call me John, please." You glanced behind me. "Where did your friend go?"

Your eyes found me again, and I wondered if you called him my friend on purpose, instead of my boyfriend. Of course you knew what he was, so why did you say it like that?

"He went home. Upset stomach." I fake grimaced, and you real grimaced.

"Hope he's okay," you said in passing. "But hey, I can give you these." You reached into the back seat of your car and pulled out my stack of books. You came around the car and held them out to me, and even though I knew, logically, that I shouldn't, when I took them, I made sure my hands touched as much surface area of your skin as I could manage while looking like it was an accident. You pretended not to notice.

"The thing is, Lena, I want to apologize for what I said last time."

I gripped the books tight and waited for you to continue, but you didn't. "Apologize for what?"

You motioned at the books and then stared down at your feet. "For being a total tit. For making a completely pompous assumption that just because you're a teenager, your tastes are ridiculous. For not valuing your opinion." You met my eyes then, so striking and unexpected in the dark that my heart pounded loud in my ears. "I value your opinion, whether it's on Twain or vampires or whatever else you want to discuss."

My heart had completely stopped beating at that point. Had anyone ever said anything like that to me before? That I was important?

No. I could say with complete certainty that no one had.

I was too stunned to say anything, but you seemed to understand. You smiled, close-lipped, and it made you look so much younger.

"Your dad says your birthday is next week. Sixteen. That's a big one. Happy early birthday."

"There's going to be a party," I blurted. "You should come."

Your eyebrows curved in, confused. "Your dad didn't mention it. Won't it be people your age?"

I shrugged. "Sure. But my parents are throwing it so it's going to be extra boring, probably. You could keep them company so they don't watch us like vultures."

Your eye got a twinkle in it then, a conspiratorial smile. "Are you asking me to distract your parents so that chaos may ensue?"

I loved the way you said it. I laughed. "Maybe. I mean, I'm turning sixteen. Don't you want me to have fun?"

You nodded absently, tucking your hands into your pockets. "That I do. In that case, count me in. I'll get the details from your mum. Good night, Lena."

You gave a little wave, and even though I wanted to stay here with you forever, keep talking, keep laughing, keep feeling like I mattered to someone, I watched you drive away.