Chapter 30

I'd never been more giddy for our annual Christmas party than I was that Christmas Eve. All night, every time the door opened, my eyes shot there immediately, always waiting waiting waiting for you to come back into my life.

It's going to kill me not to walk into that party tonight and go straight to your mouth.

You'd sent me the text earlier, and I'd laughed over it. But when you walked into the party, seeing you on the other side of the room and knowing that I couldn't go over, couldn't kiss you and hold your hand and smile up at you with every ounce of adoration in me, was much harder than I could have imagined.

You were wearing a navy blue suit, tailored perfectly, with your hair slicked back the way you liked it, and when you spotted me by the stairs, you looked once and then again, and your eyes stuck.

Just like I'd planned.

The dress I picked for the party was long, flowing, shimmering blue and cut low so that you could see the curves you'd sucked on the last time we were together. And when you looked at me, your eyes gobbling me up like Thanksgiving turkey, my nipples tightened hard, begging for your mouth.

You came across the room, glancing around quickly to make sure no one was paying attention to us. When you were in front of me, you smiled. "You look lovely, Lena," you said.

My eyes shot to my dad, who'd spotted you, and I smiled back as politely as I could, but I could barely remember how to act like I hadn't had you inside me, like you hadn't touched me and kissed me and come inside me. "You, too, Mr. Warner," I said, and you winked at me.

"John!" My dad had rushed over, and he was shaking your hand vigorously, like he hadn't seen you in months. "Come here. I have someone I want you to meet." My dad smiled at me, and then he whisked you away. I watched from the base of the stairs as he introduced you to a woman. She was small and cute, and she smiled up at you like you were the greatest thing she'd ever seen, and I couldn't even blame her.

I tried not to let jealousy curl into my blood as I watched you smile down at her, as I watched the two of you flirt. I drank down one, and then two, flutes of champagne, laughing with my dad's golf buddies and my mom's yoga group. I kept my eyes trained on you as I was offered crab cakes and candy canes.

But you did well. You didn't look over. You just pulled out your phone and typed something before putting it away again.

If you keep looking at me like that, I'm going to get hard, and that'll really change the mood of this party.

I smiled down at my phone and then threw back the last few sips of my champagne before giving the empty glass back to the waiter.

Oh yeah? I sent back. What will you do then?

If I could, I would walk across this room, grab you, and kiss you until you forgot it was Christmas Eve

What would you do then?

I watched you from across the room as you checked your phone. You did it so smoothly, your face giving away not even a hint of what was going on. I smiled and told one of my dad's doctor friends about how I was faring at Yale.

I would push you to your knees and let you suck me off right here in the middle of this party. Come on your pretty lips to let everyone know you're mine.

I choked on a sip of champagne.

"Are you okay?" the woman across from me asked, her hand stretched toward me. I nodded and coughed again, trying to breathe.

"Yes. I'm just going to-" I motioned away from the living room. "Excuse me."

I hoped you'd follow me. I moved quickly, leaving my champagne on the piano, rushing into the hallway and then out into the cold air. I stopped by the pool, covered by a blue tarp, and shivered. I definitely shouldn't have come out without a jacket. I don't know what I was thinking.