0. Prologue

"Violleta Vonville. Status: disqualified. Reason: excessive violence."

Upon reading the dreadful letter, I can feel my headache returning. Grabbing the corner of the parchment, I tear it to pieces.

I put myself on the couch. The Blazewing Academy is the last academy to open their entrance exam. After failing it, I have to wait another year before reapplying.

I rearrange my hair into a short ponytail. I can almost feel the eyebags below my round eyes from restless nights of anxiety.

"Dear, why aren't you preparing to go?" my grandma asks, her hand carrying my luggage.

"I was disqualified, grandma." I smile sourly at my loving grandma. She stares at the pieces of torn paper laying on the ground with her brown eyes, a pair of eyes identical to mine. She's an old woman; her hair has greyed and wrinkles fill her bright face.

"Ah!" my grandma says, "I forgot!"

She reaches for a piece of paper from her pocket. Then, she hands the crumpled paper to me.

I am surprised to see that the paper is an official letter (official letters don't get crumpled often, you see). The content is an array of jarring, formal remarks, but the words written with golden ink on the centre gives me relief.

"We hereby invite Ms Vonville to Blazewing Academy of Magic. Signed, Fronica Moonray."

"W-whoa, thanks grandma!" I shout happily, "but how do you get this?"

Vivid imaginations return to my head. Blazewing Academy is undoubtedly the finest academy in Irvine; I still remember the exquisite buildings made of cement and painted a comfortable cream colour. The high towers, the dormitories ....

"Er, er, I forgot." My grandma avoids my gaze.

"Come on, you don't want to be late, do you?"