Calm before the storm

Robert's face was unusually grim as we drove back home, Spirit and Phantom safely in trailer. He hadn't told us what he'd discussed with Ned and I hadn't asked.

Finally back at home Tom helped me wash, groom and fed both horses. I gave them each a treat before going up to my room. We'd won the competition earlier today but it didn't feel like a victory anymore. I couldn't shake the feeling that we were being watched, followed even. Maybe I was just being paranoid, with those bandits still out there.

After a quick shower i called it a night.
The next morning I woke up at 7 am. Alison and Robert were already in the kitchen. Robert looked up. "Morning Kate." I smiled and piled some pancakes on my plate. "Morning dad, Alison."

"Kate I have something to ask you." I poured my orange juice. "What is it?" "Alison, Megan, Tom & Rick and I will be going out of town today. There's a horse buyer he wants to meet with us and discuss with us. Rick found for me." I smiled. "Thats great dad! When will you guys be leaving?"

"In another hour. Kate I'm worried about leaving you here all alone." I shook my head. "I won't be alone I have Spirit." Robert sighed. Alison placed her hand on Robert's arm. "What means is, we don't feel comfortable leaving you here all alone Kate."

"It's okay guys I'll be fine." Just the living room phone rang. I stood up. "I'll get it." I picked up the phone. "Hello?" "Hey Kate it's me Jacob."
"Oh hi Jacob."
"Listen Kate do you wanna hang out today?" I smiled. "Sure give me the time and place and I'll be ready but can you pick me up? My dads taking the truck."

"Ya don't be so happy. I'm the one who invited Jacob but he insisted I invite you since Olivia is out of town." I recognized that voice. It was Brianna. "On second thought I'm good. Have fun you guys."

"Kate wait!" I waited for Jacob to speak. "I want you to come Kate. We can all go out and get a burger or something. Have fun. Come on please?" I chewed my lip, thinking.

"Alright I'm in. Do you mind picking me up?"
Jacob agreed and I ended the call. What had I gotten myself into? I walked back to the kitchen. "Who was that Kate?" Alison asked.
"It was Jacob and Brianna. They want me to go out with them get a burger or something."

Robert beamed. "That's great. Why don't you go out and have some fun? And we'll be back before you know it." "I agreed to it," I said.
I couldn't help but remember the last time I'd gone out with Brianna and Olivia. But this time wouldn't be like last time right? Besides Jacob was there Brianna would be on her best behavior.

As Robert, Alison and Tom we're getting ready to leave I let Phantom and her mother Sandy, out in the pasture. Making sure they're we're fed i went upstairs and changed into some jeans and a simple tee shirt. Deciding to leave my hair down I grabbed a bag and walked downstairs.

I stood on the porch surveying the horses when I noticed the clouds slowly gathering. It was going to rain today. Robert appeared beside me. "There's going to be a storm today but we'll be back before it hits." I wrapped my arms around my dad as Alison pecked me on the cheek. "Be dad sad please."

Tom grinned. "Don't worry Kate I'll take care of of them." I watched them all get into my dads truck. "Keep your phone open!" Alison called as the truck backed out. "I will!" I called back.

Spirit was nowhere to be seen. He was mostly likely with his herd. I pushed aside my worry and decided to ride Phantom, bareback around the pasture while waiting for Jacob. After nearly an hour, I went to the feed the horses.

Then I went back inside and sat down on the couch and started flipping channels. Jacob had said he'd pick me up around 11pm. I put phantom and sandy back in their stalls and waited.