Debate

Mrs Williams led us into the large mansion.
I didn't have to time to marvel at the grand staircase leading to the upper levels or the decorations before she ushered us into what seemed an office.

Mrs Williams sat down behind her desk, while Robert and I took the chairs facing her. She clasped her hands together. "I assume your here about my nieces horse, Major?"

Her niece? I looked closely at Mrs Williams and realized she had Charlotte's green eyes and black hair. Though Mrs William's black whir was streaked with grey. "He's my horse. Spirit was stolen from," I protested.

Robert pulled out Ren's confession and handed them to Mrs Williams. She put on some spectacles and started to read the papers. I didn't dare breath. Maybe she would give Spirit back to me.

After a few minutes she set the papers down. "May I see this horses registration papers?" My stomach clenched uncomfortably. "We haven't registered him yet." There was an uncomfortable silence. "I see."

Robert placed a comforting hand on my knee. "Spirit is a wild horse. My daughter found him in the wild almost over a year ago. Those horse thieves stole Spirit from us. I can pay you for him."

Mrs Williams pulled off her spectacles. "I had no idea this horse was stolen. The man who sold him to me assured me that this horse was his. He even charged a ridiculous amount of money for him. Major was a gift for my niece Charlotte."

I was right Charlotte was Mrs William's niece.
"Charlotte lost her parents last year in a car accident. I lost my sister and I decided to get her a horse to help her heal." Charlotte had lost her parents? My heart suddenly ached for her. I partially knew what that felt like, to lose a parent, but losing both parents must be horrible.

"Major has brought her lots of joy and I'm sorry to say I cannot give him back to you." There was a stunned silence in the room. Robert learned forward. "I'll pay you for him."

Mrs Williams gave him a stern look. "You cannot afford to buy him back Mr Harrison. I don't want your money I want my niece to be happy."

"But Spirit doesn't even let her get close to him!" I burst out. "He needs me. I need him. Please don't take him away from me again." Mrs Williams stood up. "You may stay in one our guest rooms tonight. If you have no other business here I'd like you to leave tomorrow."

Robert started to protest. I sat back in the chair, too shocked to move. This couldn't be happening. I was going to lose Spirit all over again. And this time I was never getting him back.

-picture from above is from the show Free Rein. Things aren't looking too good for Kate now. Do you think she'll find a way to get Spirit back or has she lost him forever?