Charlotte

Mrs Williams led us up a flight of the stairs and down a corridor. She stopped in front of a door and turned me. "This is your room." Robert's room was directly in front of mine. I didn't remember thanking Mrs Williams. I didn't even remember stepping into the room and closing the door.

In a daze I wandered over to the large bed in the middle of the room, sat down and buried my face in my hands. I don't know how long I sat there but when I looked up the room was bathed in the setting suns light. The orange, pink and purple colors reflected off the expensive furniture in the room.

I stood up and walked over to the window beside the bed. I could see the indoor arena and outdoor arenas from here. And grazing in one of the pastures was Spirit but he wasn't alone.

If I was going to say goodbye to him I wanted to spend the night with him. I opened my room and found myself face to face with Robert. "Kate I'm so sorry." I offered him a smile. "It's okay dad. I'm just going to spend some time with Spirit." Before Robert could respond I walked down the stairs and out the front door.

The evening air was much cooler here than it was in Wyoming. Shivering slightly I walked towards the pasture, opened the gate and walked towards Spirit. Spirit looked up from his grazing.

"What you doing here?" Startled I looked up and saw James appear from Spirit's right side. "He's my horse. I've come to spend time with him." I couldn't understand why he was being so cold with me. What had I done to offend him?

"Major is Charlotte's horse." I all but rolled my eyes. "Spirit. His name is Spirit. And no he's my horse. He was stolen from me. So if you don't mind I'd like some time alone with him."

We stood staring at each other for a few minutes. James was definitely attractive but with the attitude he had, it definitely was a turn off. James gave Spirit a last pat before turning and walking away.

I sighed and sat down beside Spirit. He nuzzled my cheek as I stroked his forehead. "This will probably be the last time I ever see you again," I whispered against his coat. I felt the familiar build up of tears again. Crying was all I seemed to be doing these days.

I combed Spirit's thick black mane with my fingers. "I'm going to miss you so much. I'll never forget you Spirit." I don't know how long I stayed there with him, but the moon had fully risen in the sky, bathing the pasture in its white glow.

I heard footsteps behind me and I assumed it was my dad. I sighed. "I'm coming dad." "He really is your horse. Isn't he?" I looked up and saw Charlotte standing beside me. I hurriedly stood up and wiped the grass from my jeans.

"My aunt told me everything." She reaches out a hand and stroked Spirit. His body quivered but he stayed still. "Yes he's my horse," I said. "But now he's yours." Charlotte was quite for a minute.

"Major was crazy. And I mean really crazy the first time he was brought here. He wouldn't allow anyone near him. I wanted to my aunt to take him back immediately. I realized he was a wild horse I just didn't realize how wild. But he distracted me from my parents death. It was what I needed. I still haven't been able to ride him."

I remained silent. "Major took a liking to James. He was the only one who could get near him to feed and groom Major." I didn't know what say. "Spirit is a good horse. He's just wary of strangers." Charlotte turned to me. "I'm not blind. I can see the bond you two have. He hasn't been this calm in a long time. So do you want him back or not?"

I blinked, thinking I'd heard that wrong. "I'm sorry what?" Charlotte rolled her eyes. "You're a bit slow aren't you? I said do you want him back or not?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Of course I do! He's my horse."

This all seemed too good to be true. I couldn't help but feel there was more to it. Charlotte was hiding something. Why would she suddenly give Spirit back to me? Especially if he was her dream horse.

I wasn't going to waste another minute around. I spied a lead rope on the fence, grabbed it and attached it to Spirit's halter. "Thank you Charlotte," I said.

Charlotte stroked Spirit's neck. "I'll be seeing you real soon," she said. I wasn't sure if this was directed at me or Spirit but I led Spirit out of the gate without answering.

-Kate got Spirit back but what is Charlotte really up to? Plz vote & comment if you enjoyed this chapter. There's about 2 chapters left for this story.