My Horse

Spirit's coat gleamed in the sun as he galloped around the pasture, his powerful legs straining. I noticed he was wearing a black halter and he still hadn't seemed to notice me.

Ignoring the cries of those girls behind me I called out, "Spirit!" Spirit stopped mid gallop. Nostrils quivering he turned his hear in my direction. Time seemed to stand still as we both gazed at each other.
"Spirit! I'm here boy!" I called, now running towards him.

Spirit let out a whinny and started to trot towards me his head held high. Tears blinded my vision but I ran until I was a few feet from him. My heart exploded in happiness as he Spirit bent his head towards me. I ran my hand down his muzzle then threw my arms around his neck.

"I'm here boy. It's okay I'm here." I couldn't believe that this was real. Spirit nickered softly as he nuzzled the top of my head, ruffling my hair. I took a few steps back. He looked even more beautiful and than I remembered. He also seemed to be healthy. But who'd put the halter on him?

"Lets get this thing off." I said. I stroked his forehead and was in the process of removing the halter when a voice behind me said, "excuse me what do you think you're doing with my horse?"

I turned around and Spirit let out a snort as he backed away from these girls. Did this girl just say Spirit was her horse? "I'm sorry," i said. But he's MY horse." I put the emphasis on my. The girl blinked at me. She was British and her long black hair which was tied in a neat pony tale. Her green eyes sparkled with anger. "Get away from my horse," she snapped.

The other black girl beside her smiled apologetically at me. "I'm Maya and this is Charlotte," she indicated the girl with the black hair who was eyeing with me disgust.

"Nice to meet you I'm Kate." Charlotte stepped forward and grabbed Spirit's halter. "Come on Major." Major? "His name is Spirit," I said. "And I don't think you should do."

Spirit tossed his head as Charlotte pulled on his halter. He let out a shrill whinny and reared causing Charlotte to release the halter and take a few steps back. She turned to Maya. "Get James!" She snarled.

Maya nodded and hurried off. Charlotte was seething but she stayed away from Spirit. Ignoring her I turned and stroked Spirit's sleek neck as he grazed beside me. I didn't understand why she was being so hostile towards me.

"Kate!" I looked up and saw Robert at the pasture gate with another woman waving me over. "I'll be right there!" I called as Maya returned with the guy I assumed was James.

He was tall and had sandy blonde hair, his blue eyes were fixed on Spirit as walked towards him with a lead rope. "Take him back to his stall," said Charlotte. Completely ignoring me, James walked up to Spirit.

To my surprise Spirit didn't back away. He waited patiently as James attached the lead rope. "Come on Major," he said. "His name is Spirit," I said.

James ignored me and led Spirit out of the pasture. What was it with these British people? Did they seem to hear? I made to follow when Robert called me again.

Sighing I walked towards him and the woman beside me. Charlotte to my surprise said, "can you believe it. This girl shows up and claims to own Major."

The stern woman beside Robert turned to me. "I'm Anne but you may call me Mrs Williams."

-the picture above is from the horse show Free Rein. Kate is finally reunited with Spirit but do you Mrs Williams will give him back to her? Please vote and comment if ur enjoying the story so far. Any feedback is appreciated.