After party

Right after graduation Robert drove us back to the ranch. Once we got out of the truck Robert made me close my eyes as he and Tom led me towards the barn. "Can I open them now?" I asked. I couldn't understand why they'd want me to cover my eyes. A part of me hoped that they'd found Spirit, that when I opened my eyes, I'd see him, his beautiful black coat shining in the evening sun as he'd walked towards me.

"Okay now you can open your eyes," said Robert. I opened my eyes and gasped. The yard had been completely transformed into something out of a fairy tale. Every tree was decorated with mini hanging lights. The dining room tables and chairs had brought out and set right next to the pasture. The table was laden with food and my mouth watered at the delicious smells wafting from it.

A warm summer breeze swept past. The setting sun sank behind the hills in the distance, painting the sky in shades of orange, red and pink.

Alison smiled. "We thought we'd surprise you. A small party to celebrate your graduation." I turned my dad. "I love it! Thank you!" I threw my arms around him Robert returned the hug. "I'm so proud of you Kate." I pulled of mine graduation gown and went to sit at the table.

Robert and Alison sat together across from me. Tom sat at my right. I turned my attention to the food. Burgers and hot dogs, a Greek salad, chips and salsa and a basket of garlic bread took up half of the table.

Tom reached over and put a burger in his plate. "Dig in Kate it's all so delicious. But save some room for chocolate cake." Dinner was very peaceful. By the time dessert was served I was full but I ate a piece of the delectable chocolate cake. Later Robert put a bunch of pamphlets on the table.

We spent around thirty minutes going over a few colleges I'd like to attend. There was a college in London that really caught my eye and there was an equestrian club right beside it. The club was in countryside thirty minutes away from the college, which was on the outskirts of London. There was another one in New York. I would have preferred that equestrian club but that club was two hours away from and the club didn't have an boarding and I planned to take Spirit with me.

Robert helped me send my applications to a few colleges including the one in London.
Despite Spirit's disappearance and the stress of last weeks exams I managed to relax a little and enjoy the evening, that is until I saw the ring on Alison's finger.

I almost choked on my water when I recognized it. It was my moms wedding ring. I remembered it clearly. She used to put it on my finger sometimes and she laugh and tell me how she'd give it to me when the time came.

The band was golden with the words I love you written on them beside a horseshoe. Alison, too busy talking to Robert didn't notice the scathing look I was giving her. I cleared my throat. "That's a nice ring Alison. Where did you get it?"

The chatter immediately died down. Alison looked at Robert, who had his fork midway to his mouth. "I'm sure I've seen it before. It looks just like my moms," I said turning my accusing stare on Robert. He set down his fork. "I gave it to her Kate."

And perhaps it was all the pent up anger and hurt from the past weeks that I finally exploded. "You had no right to give it to her," I snapped. Tom cleared his throat. "I'll go and check on the horses." I ignored him. "Why did you give it to her? I asked Robert.

Before he could answer, Alison said, "Kate I'm sorry If I had know how much this ring meant to you I never would have accepted it."
"Oh I bet you wouldn't have," I said sarcastically. "I mean who would want that beautiful ring right?"

"Kate that's enough. The ring belongs to Alison. I gave it to her and you can just learn to live with it," said Robert. That was the last straw. I sat up so fast I ended up knocking my chair to the ground. "Mom was going to give that ring to me! I can't believe you would just give her ring away like it meant nothing to you, like she meant nothing to you!"

Robert stood up. "Kate! Don't you talk to me like that. Sit down and apologize to Alison." I ignored the hurt look on Alison's face as I said, "you will never replace my mother." With that I turned and stormed towards  the empty pasture where Sandy and Phantom were grazing.

I yanked open the gate and walked up to Phantom. She softly nickered when she saw me. I walked over and stroked her neck. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. Truthfully I didn't regret my behavior. My father had no right to give Alison that ring.

And I was so sick of them pretending like Spirit wasn't gone. They all continued to laugh and talk like nothing else mattered in this world. My horse was gone, a piece of my heart was missing and no one was doing anything about it.

I was actually debating riding into town tomorrow to try and find those horse thieves myself when I heard the sound of boots crunch on the grass and dirt.
"Kate." It was Tom. I turned around.

"They've caught the horse thieves."

Do you guys think Kate is closer to finding Spirit? Picture from above is from google.