-Chapter 7-

"Chance ball!"

"Got it!"

"3 blockers!"

"One touch!"

"Its long, Hinata, get the last!"

"UUUUWAAAAAH!"

With Hinata's powerful spike, the ball bounces on Nekoma's court, setting the points for both teams at 23.

"We're taking this set! Stay focused!" Daichi encourages the team.

"YEAH!"

You had been watching Nekoma for the second set, curious to know what made their defence so strong. On Karasuno's side, Kageyama used Hinata as a decoy more often, allowing Asahi and Tanaka to get spikes in easily and break through the weakened blocks. The match was neck-and-neck.

Nekoma is known for their excellent defence. Their captain, Kuroo Testuro is incredibily skilled at read blocking. Morisuke Yaku is an amazing libero, he stays calm and follows the ball constantly. The ace, Taketora Yamamoto's spikes are intense too. Kozume Kenma, their second year setter, may look shy and quiet, but he is the brain of the team. The strategies and plays come from him, he is not one to be messed with. He makes use of opponents' weaknesses and manipulates them to get ahead in the game. Scary, but that's what makes Nekoma so strong.

You remember Ukai's introduction of Nekoma and the good players he mentioned in the bus. Keeping your eyes focused on the 4 men on the court, you watched with full focus at how they played. 

Kuroo was aware of everything around him. His opponents, their eyes, and his teammates. Where will the ball go to? Where will the spike land? Feint? Dump? Quick? Kuroo, though not all the time, was mostly accurate with his blocking.

Yaku played by following the ball. His eyes would not leave the ball for a second, unless he had to make sure Lev didn't fail his blocks. At other times, Yaku's main focus was getting the ball in the air. That is, after all, part of a libero's duty.

The thing that intrigued you about Kenma was his eyes. When the ball was at Karasuno's side, you could see Kenma's eyes darting around but not following the ball. His eyes were on the opponents. He was analyzing what they were thinking, their emotional state and the highest possibility for their next attack. He would silently give instructions to the rest of the team, who trust Kenma wholeheartedly.

You didn't miss out Lev, who whips his long arms forth and spikes the ball with force. His height makes up for his lacking defence. As for Inuoka, he's a big and tall guy, but he was fast and executed plays and instructions well.

Overall, Nekoma played very calmly. They take information from the court and use it to their advantage. They never stop thinking of new plays and executing them. Every play is connected to one another, and it applies to anyone who plays volleyball. For Nekoma, they only have one goal: connect.

"Out!" 

You snap out of your thoughts and see a ball bouncing on the floor near you. You bent down to pick the ball up, only then realising Asahi's spike had just barely passed the out line. The points now at 25-23, Nekoma had won the set, and the match was over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Shimizu-san, was this time's match similar to the previous? With the plays mainly..." You walked up to the third year manager who was preparing towels for the boys.

"No, this time was a little more different." she said, putting the stack of clean towels on the bench. Yachi approached the bench and joined the conversation.