Chapter 26

Lilith has chosen wisely. She did it cos of her family. It's been two weeks she resigned at the company. What's the essence of working in an organization where they are afraid to take risk. It's no surprise where they stood on the ladder. Lilith had decided to lay low for awhile. For now, she's gonna stay clear of her nights matter. A very hard thing to do.

Daniel shall pay dearly for what he did no matter how long it takes. That's a promise Lilith vowed to keep. Getting a job wasn't an easy task. But she'd rather be jobless than spend another minute at D. E. Wells & Co.

Daniel felt guilty for what he did. His conscience has been eating at him ever since. He has been consoling himself that he did it for the company. It needed to be done. But those were empty words that did nothing to soothe him. He shouldn't have used that kind of secret against her. He needed to apologise and ask her why she's doing that. Knowing what Lilith did, didn't sway his feelings for her. Rather, Daniel was determined to get to the root of it. He knew she's gonna make it hard for him, not after what he'd done. Nevertheless, he won't be deterred.

Lilith enrolled herself into an online interior decor class. She finds the course interesting. All her days were pretty much spent in her apartment. She only went out for groceries. Even Erin and Jenny find it difficult to make her leave the house.  Lilith's mind has been heavy and filled with not so good thoughts.  When she's not studying for the class, Lilith flirt with guys to balance her mind.

Lilith has been dealing with her demons ever since. Her battle is hidden to the outside. What she faces behind closed door is quite disturbing. It's a battle of sanity. And that's why she even it out with what she's been doing.

Daniel is tired of hiding in the dark. He's ready to face Lilith come what may. He wants, no, he needs her by his side and he's ready to right his wrong. With that thought in mind, he headed to Lilith's apartment.
He bought the same flowers he's been sending to her.

Daniel got to her apartment and knocked on the door. He waited for some minutes without answer. He was about to turn back when he heard shuffling behind the door. The door opened to reveal a heavy breathing Lilith. Lilith's eyes went wide when she saw Daniel. She slammed the door on his face.

Yup! He deserved that, Daniel thought. He raised his hand and knocked on the door multiple times.

The door swung opened suddenly. Daniel stumbled forward. He right himself by holding on to the wall.

" What?" Lilith barked at him.

"Sorry for bothering you" Daniel said.

"Why. Are. You. Fucking. Here?" Lilith gritted out.

" Can I come in, please?" Daniel said sheepishly.

Lilith scoffed, " you're kidding, right?"

"Unfortunately, no. I promise I'm not here to make trouble". Daniel raised his hands in a surrender manner.

Lilith scrutinized him for some minutes before opening the door wider.

" Come in " she murmured.

Daniel breathed out the air he was holding. " Thank you".

Lilith closed the door behind her and led Daniel to the sitting room. She gestured for him to sit down.

Daniel jumped up like he was bitten. " I'm sorry, I'll be right back".

What a weird guy, Lilith thought.

Daniel rushed back to his car. He'd forgotten the flowers in the car. Stupid him. He strode back into the house with the flowers hidden behind his back.

" What was that about?" Lilith said with raised brows.

" I forgot this for a minute". He brought forth the flowers. " This is for you".

Lilith stared at the flowers in his outstretched hand. She stared for full two minutes.

" Any minute now, Lilith" Daniel said nervously.

She took the flowers from him, still studying it.

" What's wrong? Don't you like it?" Daniel asked.

" No, it's not that. It kinda looks familiar, that's all."

" Okay" Daniel said with hidden smile.

" I'll be right back" Lilith went to put the flowers in a jar. She thought it looked like the anonymous flowers. It couldn't be. She shook her head. No. Coincidence, maybe. She went back to the sitting room.

" So, what brought you here, Daniel?"

" Firstly, I want to apologise for all my past errs. I'm deeply sorry. I hope you find it in you to overlook everything". Daniel said, his eyes shinning with sincerity.

" Sorry doesn't make everything better, Daniel. I surely hope you don't expect sorry to fix everything." Lilith said unmoved.

" I know but I hope it fix this. I'll do anything to make it right" he said, convinced.

Lilith stayed silent for three minutes. Those minutes were terrifying for Daniel. He didn't know what she was thinking.

" Hmm! Alright. You're forgiven". Lilith said too calm.

" Huhn! I am? Just like that? Are you quite sure?" Daniel said surprised. It seems too easy, he thought.

Lilith was no fool. She knew what's she was doing.

" Yeah, I am very sure. Or, don't you want me to forget everything?" She said.

" I do. I do" Daniel said eagerly.

"So, why make enemy when you can make friends" she said with a shrug.

" You're right. Thanks, Lilith. I promise you, you won't regret it"

" I certainly won't" Lilith said with a smirk.

" Now that we've crossed that bridge, I hope we can be called friends" Daniel said with hope.

" Sure, why not" she said still wearing the smirk.

" Actually, I don't want... Never mind".

" What is it? You can say anything, Daniel".

" I don't want to push my luck. Some other time maybe."

" Suit yourself then".

" Can I invite you to dinner?"

" Dinner?"

"Yes. You know, to celebrate the start of our friendship".

" Hmm. That sounds nice. Where and when"?

" What about two days time? Pick where ever you want"

" Sounds good to me"

" Great. I can text and call you anytime, right?"

"Sure. Why not".

" Great" .

Daniel was beyond ecstatic. Finally, a step closer. He wasn't sure at first cos everything seemed too easy. But she sounded sincere.

They chatted about random things for awhile before he left. Lilith turned out to be a great company. He was used to her cold side. Daniel hope not to see that side of hers anymore.

No matter how nice Daniel seemed, it doesn't matter to Lilith. She's gonna prove her family wrong. She's gonna show them the true Daniel.

Don't forget to VOTE, lovelies.