Chapter 34

Lilith told Leyla about the misunderstanding she had with Daniel. Leyla was pissed with her. " When do you wanna wake up, sis?"

" There might be truth in what that lady said" Lilith was stubborn.

" Unbelievable! This guy loves you, you dooffus."

" I know"

" No! No, you don't know the level of love he has for you. How can you doubt his loyalty, Lilith? The guy has been there since day one, doing nothing but love you. Even on those days when you treated him like crap, he didn't turn away. He came to me, asking about everything, everything about you. The flowers, the different gifts every now and then, where did you think they came from? Do you know how devoted he is? You don't!" Leyla slapped her forehead, frustrated, " of course, you don't know how lucky you're to have someone like Daniel. Will a person who isn't serious about you be planning to pro.... never mind" her breathing was laboured by the time she was done.

Lilith was speechless. She was surprised at leyla's outburst. She has never seen her sister talk that way. She didn't know Daniel was behind the gifts and he took his time to get to know her from leyla? Wow! The last statement caught her mind though. What was leyla about to say?

" What is Daniel planning to do" Lilith was curious.

" It's nothing" she dismissed the question with a wave.

" Huhn! Okay.... You know nothing about being lucky, so, don't preach to me about how lucky I am to have him. That's the same thing people said when I was with Mike. Awwn you guys are the cutest couple, you're so lucky to have each other, blah blah. They didn't know what happened behind clo...."

Leyla blinked twice. Now, it was her turn to be suspicious. What was Lilith talking about?

" What happened with Mike? Come to of it, you never mentioned anything about him?"

" Forget I said anything. I've heard all you said and I'm gonna make amendment"

" Thank you. Make sure you give him a call today".

" Yes ma'am" Lilith saluted.

______________________

Daniel was at the office, he couldn't concentrate on the load of work on his table. His mind kept drifting to Lilith and what happened two days ago. He stopped calling after several unanswered calls and messages. He decided it's best to give her space to calm down.

His phone rang, he checked the caller ID and it was Lilith. His heart skipped a bit, filled with hope he answered the call. Her voice was remorseful and she was sorry. He can't be mad at her. She had every right to be doubtful. They made up and he promised to visit her after work hours. He could finally concentrate on the work at hand.

Lilith was happy she called him. She was silly for believing a stranger over him. Daniel hasn't shown any sign of being a bad person. He doesn't deserve a mess like her. She was gonna make his favorite dish as an apology. She had about five hours to spare for cooking before he got off work. That was more than enough. Luckily, she had all the ingredients at home.

Daniel was ten minutes late. He was never late. Lilith decided to call him to know what was keeping him. She dialed his number.

" Hello, Daniel"

" Hey, babe, I won't be able to make it. I'm heading to Los Angeles for an urgent business."

" Oh! When will you be back?"

" Tomorrow evening. I gotta go, love you"

" Take care".

Lilith was disappointed. All her efforts on the meal was wasted. She had been looking forward to seeing him. She packed the food and stored it in the refrigerator.

The next day, a mail came in addressed to her. She was clueless about the content. She opened it and gasped at what she saw. It was a photo copy of paternity test result. I'm carrying his son, the attached note read.

What's going on? Lilith thought. Daniel impregnated someone? First, the fiance, now a paternity test. Is someone playing tricks with her or are these real? She was confused. Lilith didn't know what to believe. She sat down for hours, lost in thought.

Later in the evening, she dialed Daniel's number. She would ask him about it when he came over. After all, he was supposed to come back from Los Angeles that evening.

She dialed several times but he didn't pick up. Frustrated, she dropped the phone on the floor. A ping from the phone notified her of an incoming message. She picked up the phone and checked the message. Alas! It was a picture of Daniel with a blonde. The blonde was standing too close to him.

Lilith felt betrayed. Was this the business meeting? The reason why he didn't pick her calls? Or is the picture another trick? She was frustrated. Everything was too much for her emotion to handle.

She went to the bathroom and brought out a bottle from the hidden cabinet. She took two pills from it. She wasn't content, she wanted to forget everything so, she took another four. She was supposed to take just two but now, she had total of six. Her pill was the only thing she didn't tell Daniel nor her therapist about. She was afraid they would take it away from her if they knew. When things get too much, she sought after her pills. They were her candy.

The candies kicked in fifteen minutes after she took it. Her mind became numb. She slept for few hours and woke up. She had given everything a good thought. She wanted to believe Daniel but the facts were staring at her. She decided to give everything benefit of doubt.

It was later in the night that she received a call from Daniel. He apologized for not picking her calls and gave his excuse. He came back into town few hours ago. He would have visited her but it was late. He finally found the perfect ring and was gonna propose to Lilith the next day. It was part of why he couldn't pick her calls, he had been busy with the planning and purchasing of the ring.

He was slightly nervous about tomorrow. What if she rejected his proposal, Daniel thought. He didn't want to think about it. Everything was gonna be fine.

So, what do you think will happen in the next chapter which is also the last chapter of Distorted.

Drop your guess in the comment section

Let's make this book go far by...

Voting 😍

Also, there would be an epilogue after the finale chapter.

Love,

Fatimah.