Chapter 4: Trouble in Paradise

You groggily wake up from the daybed outside to hear faint noises coming from the gym. Then you slowly start to remember Bobby's little secret and make your way towards him, this time you decide you want to tease him a little.

"Up at this hour Mckenzie?" You ask as he throws a jab on the punching bag. That jolts him into action and he swiftly turns into a threatening combat pose towards you fast as lightning.

He looks visibly shaken, before calming his features and dropping his taped hands, "Thought you'd slept on the couch. In the livingroom." He says with a deadpan tone you're not used to. The coldness in his tone makes you pause. He looks detached, almost indifferent.

"I... The day bed is more comfortable. Why don't you train with the boys?" You ask finally, your teasing forgotten given his defensive attitude.

"I don't feel like it. I'd rather have some fun in the daytime." He informs you, aloof, serious. His signature smile nowhere to be found.

"Bobby... I'm sorry if I impeded on something that's sacred to you. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I promise I won't tell anyone. I swear. Just... I... I don't even know how to speak with you now." You shuffle your feet and look down, unable to meet his cold eyes.

Bobby sighs. Man, he feels like a right git. This isn't how he wanted Leila to ever see him, but it's a part of him now. There's a time when he can distress and detach his emotions, work out his frustrations and not worry about anything or anyone during this time. Obviously seeing someone work out wouldn't be a big deal, but for him, this is different.

Until two years ago, if you told him he needed the gym, he would have laughed in your face. He was used to street brawls where you had to be clever, not calculated and ruthless. Now he knows different combat styles all thanks to that fucking bitch who threw his life in a tailspin.

"I'm sorry doll, come here, let me have a good look at you." He says gently.

She shakes her head, seemingly close to tears and his heart breaks a little. This girl is going to be the death of him if he's not careful. He walks towards her and hugs her to him. He's all sweaty and gross and he knows she can't resist a good bit of banter.

"Eeeuw, you're all sweaty. Shove off, you gorilla." She pushes him back lightly.

"I'll be King Kong and kidnap you to my lair if you don't let me see that pretty face, love." He responds.

She looks up hesitantly. He places a soft kiss on her forehead, tasting a bit of his own sweat, "This is sacred to me because it's a side I don't want many to see, for obvious reasons." He says finally.

You nod your head in understanding. Your mom was a former freedom fighter who sought asylum in the US during apartheid where she met your father. When she trained you, you could tell there were demons she'd rather not let loose as she tried not to hurt you. Being the stubborn little shit you were, you made her bring out her demons as a form of retribution.

The first time she made you bleed, she cried for a whole hour. It didn't phase you. The emotional damage she's done is much worse. You can't imagine what she's been through and she doesn't talk about those years. Nor the years she abandoned you and your dad. Your dad's a big softy who'd rather cut his own finger, but he too has hurt you too much. That's part of the reason you moved out of the country. You see the same demons behind Bobby's eyes and it scares you that he's displaying the same emotionless visage your dad did when your mom left.

"Robert, I know it's still early days and you can't trust me yet, but know that I'm willing to work my ass off to earn your heart. So don't... close yourself off to me. I don't snitch and I won't break your trust. I'll prove it to you." You say with conviction.