Chapter 9

Hank

Thea was smiling as she got into the car, she looked like the cat that ate the canary. He drove her to her office per her request. Hank's phone chimed loudly on his way and he knew it could only be his mother. Why didn't she call earlier when he was all alone in the living room staring at an erotica novel?

He saw Thea look at him from the rear view mirror. "Are you going to pick that?"

He smiled. "Not so important."

The phone stopped ringing only to start all over again. "Excuse me, just a minute." Hank parked the car by the roadside and got out to answer his mom.

"Mom, how are you?" he asked as he kicked a stone out of his path.

"I'm fine, Kiki. I got your message, why did you change your number?" Her voice sounded okay and Hank relaxed a notch.

"Just wanted a fresh start. Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm doing okay.

"That's good to know. Have you had breakfast?"

"Breakfast?" she asked.

"Mom, have you eaten this morning?"

She coughed into the phone and he waited until she got herself. "I don't feel good."

"Go to the hospital, mom. I'll call you later, I got a job for us."

"My baby," she said and coughed again.

"Yes. Are you going to go to the hospital?"

"Yes. I'll go now."

"Thank you. Call me when you get there."

"Bye."

He ended the call and tucked the phone in his pocket. His mom worried him. She could be a junkie, but she was all he had. He got back in the car and apologized, Thea brushed it off and he drove her to work.

Hank called his mom immediately he entered the house with Thea but she didn't answer. He could tell she was high earlier. She couldn't understand what he meant when he had asked about breakfast. Hank tried not to worry and hoped she was alright.

Thea left work few hours after getting back from Jamal's office. He drove her to a shopping mall and declined going in with her. She wasn't in any real danger, and he didn't need to be by her side twenty four seven contrary to what she was made to believe.

He helped her with the shopping bags as she walked towards the car. At home, she started dinner and he joined her in the kitchen.

"Do you need help?"

"I've got this. Jamal is coming home early tonight and we have plans," she grinned from ear to ear as she informed him.

Thea was cleaning the tilapia she bought at the fish market and he stood in a corner watching. She later passed him bell peppers to help slice the top off, he rinsed his hands when he finished.

"You're a great help."

"I only sliced the top off."

"Yea, it shows you know your way around the kitchen. The way you held the knife told me a lot about you."

If she was trying to weird him out, she succeeded. "I'm curious to know what you've learnt."

"Not saying much. Can you make salad?"

"Sure."

"Great, can you can make a bowl while I quickly prepare the stuffed peppers? Everything you need is in the fridge."