Chapter 11

Hank

Almost a month had been spent working for Thea, and Hank was expecting his first salary. His mom was doing okay, still strung out most of the time but he didn't want to critique her choices. She was one of those people who had fragile mental health, and he didn't want to push her over the edge more than she already was.

Thea was in the room working while he stretched his legs out on the sofa. They had made some home deliveries today and on their way back, she'd informed him that they were going out for lunch later. His stomach had suddenly became her responsibility and that had saved him money on countless occasions. Hank sometimes tried to pay for lunch when they went out to eat, it was the least he could do.

Hank hadn't seen Jamal in a while, his step brother was like a ghost. It was all work and no play with him, he had always been that way and being married didn't change it.

Hank played the game on his phone and looked through his contacts when he got bored. He heard footsteps and Thea showed up by his side with her bag in her hand. He sat upright and raised his brows in question.

"We're going out for lunch," she stated.

"Okay." He got the car key and headed out.

When asked where she'd like to go for lunch, Thea chose the spot he'd met the waitress that had been all over him. He'd met up with her later that evening after closing from work. Jessy was bold and straightforward and he had enjoyed their time together. They had sex a couple of times and he blocked her number when she started pressing him for another date.

In retrospect, he should have simply told her he wasn't interested in a relationship. She was obviously vying for something more and he had to shut it down quickly. Sex with her had been awesome but that was it.

He parked the car and prayed that she was off- duty. He knew how petty people could get and he didn't want the drama unfolding in the presence of his boss. He didn't need her knowing how messy his life actually was.

Luck was not on his side as usual and Jessy came to their table when they were seated. She took their orders and came back with their food. Hank hesitated before taking a bite of the meatpie in front of him.

"I didn't poison it if that's what you're thinking," Jessy said. "Not all of us excel at being assholes."

Hank pretended to cough until she left their table.

"What happened?" Thea asked.

"We didn't work out as she hoped."

"What went wrong?"

"Life happened." He bit into his snack and kept chewing in order not to answer more questions.

Hank went to the bathroom and Jessy showed up as he was bucking his belt. He ignored her and went to the sink.

"You blocked me."

He left the bathroom before she could say more. There was no way in hell he was entertaining her. Her stance alone showed she was ready to fuck him up in the worse possible way, and he knew that involved a screaming match.

"I'll be in the car waiting," he said to Thea and left the table.

Thea came in and sat in the front seat. "She said you used her for sex."