Chapter 13

Hank

Doing the same thing for over a year was as stable as things could get for Hank. He was still working as a driver; the pay was extremely good and he got extra every time he had to stand in for Jamal.

At some point, Jamal had told Thea that the threat had stopped since the police found the culprit. Hank wasn't particularly concerned about the lies, he had a more flexible role presently as he was simply a driver. It was easy for Thea to have just fired him after learning she was safe but she didn't and here he was.

He was back at home after dropping her at her place. She had asked him to come in for dinner and he'd politely declined. Hank enjoyed spending his nights at home watching shows on his recently acquired TV. Most nights he was interrupted with a call from Jamal, his step brother always needed a favor. You'd think it'd be the other way around but it wasn't.

If Jamal wasn't begging him to get some ridiculous gifts for Thea because he missed one of their many date nights, he was urging/bribing him to take his place instead. Work was the be-all and end-all of his existence, and they couldn't hang because he was always busy.

Hank stretched his legs and ate smarties from the small bowl by his side. His mom was another family member he was trying not to have issues with. He had asked for her address so he could send her a smartphone and she had refused to give it up. He knew where she lived now anyway. The first thing he did with his salary was pay someone to find her, and she had an apartment on the other side of town with neighbors that cared about her.

His mom was a stubborn woman but she knew how to survive. He didn't worry about her as much as he used to. He sent her money twice a month since he knew she couldn't keep a job. He worked for both of them, it was no big deal. She had always been his responsibility and it was a cross he was humbly carrying.

Hank was saving most of his salary for his food truck, that was why it was easy to do the annoying things Jamal asked of him. He still needed his job.

Hank wore his clothes when he got bored of the TV show and he hit the bar closest to his home.

There wasn't much to do the following day as Thea wasn't going in to the office

There wasn't much to do the following day as Thea wasn't going in to the office. She gave him a free day and he went back home to play tennis with his neighbor's kids.

Jamal called him in the evening and he groaned. He knew he was going to ask for another favor.

"Fuck you. This is my free day," he said when he picked the call.

"Will you calm down?" Jamal paused then continued, "Something urgent came up, and I won't be able to see Thea tonight."

"And?"

"She planned us a date night.."

"Then tell her you can't make it."