Chapter 28

Thea

Thea watched Hank leave through the gate and almost cried. She saw Jamal eating cereal in the kitchen when she entered the house, and she got a bowl for herself.

"Hey, wife," he greeted.

"Hey," she answered.

"What's going on, Thea? I've called for three days straight without a response from you, are you okay?"

Thea's hand shook as she poured milk into her bowl. She looked at Jamal and contemplated just saying the truth, he was going to find out soon anyway. Why wait any longer?

"I'm fine, Jamal. I've just been busy at work."

"The security guy said you've not been home in days."

The way he was talking to her was confusing her, did he care now?

"Because I was working. Can we talk about how you stood me up at the therapist's office?"

Jamal came to her and she went to get the cereal just to put some space between them. She knew what was coming like the back of her hand. He was going to gaslight her and promise to fix things just to do the exact opposite. Thea didn't know how she put up with him. Their marriage wasn't normal and she was tired of pointing out the problems.

"I'm sorry for that. I forgot I had plans that day."

"It's fine."

He came closer and pecked her. "I knew you would understand."

"I don't, but it's okay."

Thea stabbed at her cereal instead of eating them. Why was he back so early? Had her dad told him about her sleeping with the driver? Jamal wasn't acting unusual but he was too cool for her liking.

"I'm taking a week off work. We can spend the time together, I know how hard I've been working but I'm here now."

"Cool."

Thea stuffed her mouth with cereal so she didn't have to say more than necessary. She wasn't happy he wouldn't be going to work tomorrow. She and Hank had planned on going to the beach together, they never thought Jamal would be coming home earlier than planned. He had ruined their moment and she was finding it hard to be cheerful.

Jamal got water from the fridge and she took her bowl of half eaten cereal to the sink.

"Hank says he's leaving, did he tell you when?"

Thea looked away to hid her guilty expression when she responded, "I'm not sure when, I'll have to ask him."

"Are you okay?" he asked again.

She smiled. "I'm great actually."

"I don't feel your excitement. You'll have me to yourself for a week, I expected a better reaction."

"I can't do this right now, Jamal."

"Thea?"

Thea left the kitchen and went to her bedroom. She locked her room when she got in, and took off her clothes. Thea got in the shower and flinched when hot water rained on her.

She waited until it was eight p.m. before leaving her room. Jamal wasn't in the living room on her way out, and she hastily grabbed the car key. Thea drove to Hank's apartment and called him when she got there.

"I can't believe you came back," he said when he opened the door.

"I couldn't stay away," she said and went in.

Hank lifted her in his arms and she kissed his mouth as he carried her to his room. Thea found a comfortable position after Hank placed her in bed.

"How did it go with your husband?"

Thea patted her thighs and Hank rested his head on them. "Not good. I don't want to talk about him."

"What did he do again?"

"Hank, why is he back so early? We had plans and he just ruined everything."

"There's tomorrow."

"He took a week break from work, we can't tomorrow."

Hank took her hands and kissed them. "We'll make it work someway, don't work yourself up."

"How can you say that? You leave the day after tomorrow."

"Thea, let's just take the day as it comes. I could stay back, but my mom is sick and if I don't see her soon, I'm afraid she's going to get so much worse."

Thea bit her lips and she smiled when Hank pulled her bottom lip from her teeth. She could go with him, there was nothing for her here. Jamal didn't need her and she didn't need him either. She liked being with Hank, everything was different and real with him.

"Hank, I think I want to go with you."

"You don't have to."

"What? You begged me to some days ago, what changed?"

"Have you had dinner?"

"Not yet. Hank, I asked you a question."

"Let's get something to eat first, then we'll talk."

Hank held his hand out and she took it. Why was he deflecting? Thea grew worried as Hank drove. Didn't he want her anymore?

When Thea woke up the following morning, all she could remember was that Hank didn't give a reason why he didn't want her to leave with him. They had ate pizza and drank milkshakes the previous night and she'd somehow forgotten to ask. Perhaps that was the reason he took her to dinner. Had she become too clingy for him?

Thea was overthinking about her situation with Hank when she heard a knock on her door. It was so unusual that it startled her. Jamal opened the door and peeped in.

"Good morning," she said from her bed.

Thea was buried under her heavy mass of duvet and she waved when Jamal came in. He was in a pair of suit and she took a peek at her clock. It was still morning and Jamal looked like her was going for a business meeting. Jamal gave her a peck and perched on the sofa close to her vanity.

"Are you going to the office?"

"No. We're going out today, just the two of us. I already gave Hank a day off, I think it's okay he gets a day to sort himself out since he'll be leaving town tomorrow."

"Sounds great," she said.

"Will you get to the bathroom please."

"Not to be a buzz kill, but you need to change out of those. Wear something casual, like a short and round-neck, t-shirt."

Jamal stood. "I'll go change."

"And I'll get dressed."

Thea sighed when Jamal left her room. She didn't know how she was going to survive spending the whole day with with him. She quickly made tea to calm her ragging nerves before going into the bathroom.