Chapter Four

As soon as their bus swerved into the bus stop, the teens quickly hopped on and soon found a pair of empty seats. As usual, Toby would always sit with her, regardless of what seats she chose. But she couldn't blame the young Rogers though. Everyone would give him filthy looks whenever he passed them. His difference and bold personality made a lot of the guys in school despise him. Especially when he was friends with their crush target, Natalie Ouellette. 

Needless to say, it made them envy him hard. Toby tugged at his tie. He hated having to do it every morning, even if he was caught without it, he'd be called out for  "Incorrect Dress Code." 

Natalie laughed a little at his struggling with the piece of clothing. "You know, if it's so hard to do your tie, you can always get your mom to do it for you.." She suggested while re-adjusting her stylish cap. Toby frowned. "T-That's the thing though. M-Mum wants me to b-be able to do i-it on my own. She says I'm already s-seventeen and that I should g-grow up."

Natalie sighed. Connie Rogers was a nice woman, the last time she went over to his house, to do a school project. But what came from Toby's lips, it seemed like she was slowly growing tired of everything. For months now, Natalie had tried to get her friend to get some help for his family. But he would always tell her that he was fine and that he could take care of everything himself. 

"Okay, if you say so. But you do know that you're not alone, Tobster.." She would always say. 

The pale teen would plaster a fake smile, just to mask his pain. "I-I know, Nat.." 

Anyways, Natalie stared at him for a little but then decided to bring up a light-hearted convo. "So, have you heard my house is having a mufti day today?" She smiled warmly. 

Toby laughed. "So what? I-Is that your way o-of saying  'I don't have t-to w-wear a d-damned tie today'?" Afterwards, the curly dark-haired boy playfully hit her in the arm. Natalie's hazel eyes beamed with joy. She loved making Toby happy. The two had a strong friendship, you know? 

It meant the world to her to see him happy. She was aware that he had been through a lot, but, regardless, Toby's happiness mattered just as much as hers.

On Toby's side of the story, he appreciated his childhood friend a lot. Even if it seemed like the world didn't seem to like to see them together. Not one minute, they'd be apart. Toby cherished that very day his mother made him say hi to their new neighbours. He secretly thanked her for, pretty much, making the whole thing happen.

If it weren't for Connie, he would've never met Natalie...

Little Toby stood there, staring at the intimidating wooden fence. The fresh wood seemed to, somewhat, scare him. The little boy twitched as he trudged over to the gates. There in the open driveway, was a silver car with a family of three, climbing out and unloading their belongings. 

His eyes widened at the sight of a little girl, that didn't look any older than him. 

She hopped out, holding a plush giraffe toy. However, she didn't seem to be aware of him, standing there. "Natalie, my little girl, can you get your toys out and ready?"

"Okay, mama!" The child obeyed. 

Soon, after a while, the girl's parents opened the sliding door to their new home and went inside. Little Natalie turned to him. Toby flinched and felt his cheeks grow red with embarrassment. He really didn't want her running off to her parents, screaming they already had a neighbourhood stalker. 

But to his surprise, she did neither.  

"Hey, pale kid at the gates! What are you doing over there?" She called, her little arms still wrapped around the stuffed animal toy. But her voice didn't sound threatening.

Which calmed Connie's son down a bit. She, soon, was in front of him, but were separated by the closed metal gate. Toby twitched as he looked down at his shoeless feet, in embarrassment. Mary Beth's daughter tilted her head in confusion. "Why are you twitching like that?" 

Oh great, Little Toby thought. She was just like those other horrible neighbourhood kids around the block. That teased him for his uncontrollable ticking. 

"I-I suffer from Twourtte S-Syndrome.." He mumbled, shame dawning on him. 

"Oh, that's cool! Does it make you do that cool twitching thing?" He heard her say. Toby looked up at her. She didn't look or sound mocking either. Toby just guessed she didn't really understand his condition. Which made him beam. 

Toby, timidly, nodded in response. "Oh, cool. I'm Natalie! What's your name?" Her cute childish voice asked. 

A small smile crept onto Toby's fair pale face. "I-I'm T-Toby...Toby R-Rogers.."