Chapter Thirteen

When Toby came to, he was being shaken awake by his mother. They were still in the car, but this time, they were already in front of their blue-painted two story home. There were a few gardens and trees that Connie tried to keep alive, by watering them daily. She really didn't want the place looking like a death house. The inside was no different. It was rather dull and tedious-looking and a miserable vibe lingered in the place, even on the sunniest day.

Anyway, Toby slowly stirred to consciousness. "Son, we're home now..." He heard his mom say. But her tone of voice seemed...different. He caught a slight quiver in her speech as if she were anxious. Toby blinked a few times, in order to wake himself up.

But some sort anger or annoyance stirred inside him when he saw that annoying, silver car. With those annoying tinted windows. And that annoying car plate. The boy didn't know why, but those damn numbers seemed to irritate him to the core. 

He, immediately, noticed that car. "W-What the hell is he doing here?" The teen asked, his face had hate written all over it. Connie trembled but tried to pull herself together, to assure her son.

She was aware that her boy hated her husband. She couldn't blame him, though.  The mother hated him, herself. But she could never stand up to her own curse. 

"Don't be like that, Toby. Your father probably just wants to see how you are." Connie said, turning to look back at her teenager son. Toby rolled his eyes with disdain. "Yeah, sure, right a-after all this t-time? I-I seriously doubt that.." He scorned, preparing himself to step outside and to just lock himself in his room. Like usual. 

The lady watched as the boy walked and closed the car door behind him. That was pretty brave of him. There was the man, who Toby wasn't proud to call 'Dad.' He was nowhere near being a good father or a good example for his kids. And that's what made Toby hate him more.  He walked right past him, to the doorstep. Connie, soon, followed. But quickly kept up with her son. "Honey, aren't you gonna give me hug or something?" The man asked.

Toby felt his upper lip curl with disgust. How would a man like him, expect his family to even want  to be near him? 

Connie ignored and managed to open the front door with the house keys, on the second try. But she felt an iron grip, bite on her wrist. "Don't ignore me, lady."

Toby's heart overflowed with anger. "L-Leave her alone!" He shouted. His asshole father gave him a dirty, hateful look, but obliged. Connie was suddenly scared to turn back to the door. She could feel those, cold, cruel eyes burning a hole at the back of her head. The three walked in, but Toby stayed the furthest away from his father.  Was he even a father? 

But the thought of going next door to Natalie's, seemed to break his loathing thoughts for his male parent. He smiled a little as he trudged upstairs. Closing the door to his room, he stared out the window. It gave him the whole overwatch of the entire street. A pair of toddlers were playing, across the road. The girl looked awfully familiar to his childhood friend. 

It was the pigtails, wasn't it?

Rogers breathed a sigh. "T-That used to be us, N-Natalie.." 

. . . 

"How was school today, Lucas?" The older sister asked. Like usual, Mary couldn't pick him up, due to other work reasons. But she didn't mind seeing him, pretty much, everyday after her last classes for the day. The little boy held a few art posters and weird paper projects. It looked like he had a big day. It was probably, one out of the 50 weird things, Lucas did at school.

"It was good. We were put into five groups and I was with, Rodie and Zane. We got to do a car art poster!" Lucas exclaimed, a big smile on his face.