Chapter Five

"Hey Natalie!" Someone called. The girl turned her head to face another school friend of hers. "Oh, hey, Tinsley, what's up?" Natalie replied, smiling. She was just done, unpacking her books for her upcoming classes for the day.  Tinsley smiled. "Eh, nothing much. Haven't seen you in the holidays though. Did you go to the Sparks, by any chance?"

The brunette smiled nervously, at the question. Tinsley had wanted her to go to the Sparks, which was honestly nothing more than a firework show in the park. She always said that Natalie had to get away from the house for a while. But if she was being completely honest, She just didn't like the people there. Admittedly, she just wasn't used to the people that she wasn't familiar with. Other than Toby. 

"Oh, sorry...I just haven't had the time to go.." Natalie finally said, after an awkward pause. Tinsley sighed. "You know you don't always have to hang out with that Theo guy, right?" She asked, disappointment clear in her voice. 

Natalie sighed herself. "I know, man. And..it's Toby, not Theo." The girl pointed out, pulling out her last couple of books. 

Tinsley rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, Natalie. But yeah, you do have other friends other than...Toby, right?" She asked, once again. 

Natalie frowned, anger slowly rising up inside her. Tinsley never once acted like this. Let alone, brought up anything about Toby. But ever since she left for summer camp, she had changed inside and out.  She had dyed streaks of her dark hair, pink. And even had multicoloured eyeshadow. The brunette turned to her.

"What strain does this have on you, Tinsley?" Natalie suddenly asked. "Ever since, you went away for that goddamn summer camp, you've just been acting so rudely towards me.." 

Tinsley's blue eyes widened at her former friend's sudden hostility.

"How am I acting rude? I'm just saying so, Natalie. You haven't even gone out to do anything fun. You've just been around that twitchy weirdo.." 

Natalie, immediately, realized how fast this all went down to insults and disagreements. And on her first day back. The Ouellettes had a reputation to stay the most flawless of families out there. And if she messed that up, she knew she would never gain her parents's trust ever again. Natalie sighed, trying to hold in her burning hatred. "Toby is not  a weirdo. And if you have a problem with that, then I'm not talking to you ever again. And believe me, it won't be nice.." 

Tinsley's face of fake makeup seemed to ignite with fury.  "Oh puh-leez, Natalie. You know for a fact that Chris is gonna hate you for liking that Tony guy-"

"It's Toby!" Natalie shot, cutting off her words. "Fuck, Tinsley. You've grown worse than I thought! Why don't you say what you just said to Toby's face, huh?" 

The popular girl's eyes widened as she watched Natalie storm off. That was all she was gonna say to her right now. But how dare she call Toby a "weirdo?" Her own childhood friend?

"No, Natalie." She whispered to herself. "No more getting mad at people. You're gonna make Mom and Dad look bad.." 

Why all of a sudden had she grown so horrible towards her and Toby? Natalie felt tears well up in her eyes. It suddenly felt like she didn't know who she was talking to anymore. And this is exactly why she didn't like talking to other people, besides Rogers. Tinsley was so nice...but it didn't seem like that was the case anymore. Toby was the only person who truly understood her. They had each other's backs, no matter what. But it didn't seem like life liked to approve of that. 

The whole way to her history class, she felt a million eyes watching her as she passed by. They were perhaps gossiping about Natalie's snap at Tinsley. That was the most annoying part about Garold's High. Everyone managed to know about everything. Like any other typical high school you'd see, rumors would spread like wildfire. No matter how many times you try to protect yourself from the toxicity of the school, you couldn't.

The worst part about that, is that they know that the rumors aren't true, but they'd rather use it for fun, just to hurt someone. 

But Natalie's depressing thoughts were, abruptly, interrupted when a skinny hand stopped her. She came to a sudden halt and looked at the guys, who were now circling her. 

Natalie's bright brown eyes dilated in slight fear.  One of them stood closest to her. "Hey beautiful.." They purred. He tilted his head, looking behind her. "Where's that Rogers dude? Eh, fuck it." He exclaimed. "He's not here to save you now, Natalie.."