Chapter Eight (The Accident Part 1)

It had felt like minutes had been fused with hours as she sprinted through the cold, damp streets. Her mind was racing, but she continued to keep running, somehow. Toby complained a lot of how she was literally a girl version of Sonic the Hedgehog.. only a human. Natalie was awarded a lot in the past for her agile ability to run long distances. But it was only when she had to run from her abusive dad, whenever he decided to chase her as a child. 

She took a turn and ran across a busy road, thankfully, avoiding getting hit. Her breathing quickened a little when she still heard Toby close behind. "Natalie!" 

Damn, this guy is relentless..

"Please, Toby, go back!" She hollered back, her voice cracking with sadness. "I wanna be left alone!" 

"But N-Natalie, it's n-not safe out here!" He answered, the wind almost swallowing his words. Natalie stopped again. Did she really want to do this? Pushing away the only person who stayed there for her. She shook her head. "This is literally crazy, Natalie." She said to herself. The dark-haired teen finally stayed in her spot and turned back to Toby, who was still running to her. 

He had to run across that busy road that she had just crossed. Raindrops had stained his school shirt and his tie blew crazily over his shoulder. This was like a dramatic scene in a movie, where the guy has to go back for the helpless girl. Natalie sighed and began trudging back. Her sudden plan to run home was scrapped now. It would only make it worse for her and Toby. 

She held her wet backpack in guilt. "Alright, I'm coming back!" She yelled. But she couldn't tell if he heard her or not. She squinted through the stormy winds as she padded on the sidewalk. For some reason, she felt an off feeling stab her in the gut. An off feeling she didn't know how to process. It was then, Natalie realized a speeding car running down... right to where Toby was. 

Her eyes widened and her heart pounded with fear. She dropped her bag, of belongings and tried to tell her friend to stay on the side. 

"Toby! Stop!" The girl screamed. But the wind decided to, cruelly, eat up her shouts again. "Stay on the side! There's a car coming your way!" 

Time sped up and the rain whipped tears into her bloodshot eyes. "Toby!" 

And then...CRASH!!

Natalie felt her heart stop. "Toby!" 

Everything went black. Toby felt blood escape out of his head. He groaned in pain and he laid there, like a helpless baby cub. What was happening? Was Natalie trying to say something to him? He could feel Natalie's presence washing over him. Even through, the strong scent of rain, he could smell honeycomb..