Chapter Seventeen

Natalie watched intently as Matthew shut the back to the car. She cowered behind the wooden fence, that separated the properties. She didn't want to get caught. Especially when they proceeded the week well off without each other. Soon, Lyra and Toby stepped out. Of course, he caught her attention as she watched. It felt weird, being in that particular situation, but whatever. 

He said he would never wear anything other than black. But if Natalie was completely honest, Toby kinda fit with the bright colours. But of course, it was too late to admit that now. "Alright, hurry up, don't wanna be here all day now!" Matthew demanded, obnoxiously. Toby's face contorted with clear annoyance. Like always, Natalie couldn't blame him.

"Why the f-fuck do we have to move a-away?" Toby muttered to his sister, who was helping him carry out his piles of blankets. 

"Shh!" Lyra hissed a little. "Don't talk like that, Toby. Dad's gonna shove his foot up your butt, if he catches you.." 

Toby rolled his eyes in anger. "Yeah he can try. Besides, w-what can a man l-like him, do t-to me anyway? He's a real f-fucking comedian..."

Despite this, the family managed to group up all of their belongings and not long after, a truck arrived outside the two-story home. Natalie watched as the movers followed the parents inside. Then a crazy idea flashed into her mind. Could she really make up for all that empty time?

It was crazy to think, but it felt like some urge was pushing her to do it. Not forcing her, but in a way of saying 'it was now or never..' 

Toby sat behind in the open car, eating a popsicle. He observed the men who carried all his stuff away. That dresser and even his bed, soon after. By now, he had gotten used to not seeing Natalie again, but it still hurt to think about. He sighed, recalling his sister's wise words. 

"No matter what happens between you two, no real friendship ends..."

It was gonna be hard, having to live the rest of his life knowing that Natalie was gone. Erased, deleted, gone. Just gone. But worse, was knowing that he never got to say goodbye. 

Suddenly a voice beside him, made him jump. "Hey, man.." They said. 

"N-Natalie?" Toby squeaked, his eyes wide. "What are you doing here? Y-You know m-my dad's gonna kill you if h-he catches you." 

The teen scanned the grassy lawn and quickly glanced at the entrance of the house. Luckily enough, Matthew and Connie were too busy leading the movers around. While Lyra was in her room, packing up her own belongings. So Natalie and Toby were officially alone.

Toby glanced at his friend, whom who hadn't seen in weeks. Some sort of joy washed over him. He didn't know why, but Natalie's presense made his heart flutter.

"I know, but you're moving today?" Natalie asked, feeling a stab of pain hit her in the gut.

"Yeah, I-I guess so. But...what are you d-doing over here? We'd get in serious t-trouble." Toby warned, double-checking the open door. 

He heard Natalie sigh. "Look man, there was just no way, I was just gonna watch you leave. I'm not staying away from my own childhood friend, who is leaving town. At least...not without a goodbye." The young Ouellette said. 

Toby felt a smile spread across his face. Maybe Lyra was  right. This wasn't really the end. At least, Natalie had the balls to actually come over. 

But then a particular question flooded into Toby's mind.

Is this really the end or only just the beginning?

But his thoughts were cut off when Natalie bent down and pulled him close. She wrapped her arms around him tightly and almost, refused to let go. Toby breathed in the scent of honeycomb, gratefully, This was probably the last time he could smell that again. 

"I'm really gonna miss you, Toby..." Natalie admitted, her eyes shut as she hugged him. She could feel the fabric of his plush dark-blue checker shirt. Toby was just so nice to hug and there was no doubt about that. "I-I'm gonna miss you too, Nat. I'll m-miss seeing you.."

After what felt like forever, the two friends finally pulled away. 

"So...now what?" Natalie questioned, a humorous tone to her voice. Toby smiled, shrugging. "I dunno. But I think y-you should get going n-now. My p-parents are gonna c-come out anytime soon. And I don't wanna p-piss off my dad.."

Natalie wanted to say more. Really she did. But Toby was right. She couldn't stay long even if she really wanted to. But at least, she could walk away, knowing that she had done it. Natalie had officially farewelled her best friend, but not having him around anymore, wasn't gonna be easy. 

Natalie sighed. "Yeah, I guess you're right man..." She turned to walk away. "Have a nice time in Colourado, though!" She said, trying to mask her pain. It was then, when she began padding away, she came to a sudden halt. Natalie squeaked. Toby hugged her one last time. And Toby squeezed her tightly. She could feel all that love and care in one hug. 

"I don't wanna go..." He whispered. Natalie heard a slight crack in his voice, as if he was on the verge of tears. Natalie decided to hug him back. She never imagined it would be like this. 

Yet, it started with a simple hello but such a painful goodbye.

"I know, Tobster, I don't want you to go either. But... I'm sorry.."

Toby pulled away, small tears forming in the corners of his eyes. "W-What do you mean?" 

"I'm sorry for everything. I'm the reason this all is happening. I made you run out onto the streets and your CIPA, that was basically my fault, Toby.  If it weren't for my stupid mind, you and your family won't be moving out." Natalie, said, guiltily.

"No! D-Don't you dare b-blame yourself, Natalie. If this is all h-happening, then we're b-both stupid." Natalie smiled a little. 

Again, after a while, they pulled away. 

"Y-You have to get going n-now, Nat." Toby quietly demanded, still wiping away tears. Natalie just nodded. The house was almost empty and by now, Matthew, Connie and Lyra would be waiting for him. And the teen didn't want to make it obvious that he was talking to Natalie, when he shouldn't. 

Soon, they departed. Toby went to the car and Natalie went back to her house. This was gonna be the end of their chapters together. 

"Toby, come on, where are you? We're heading off now!" Connie yelled out. 

Toby quickly climbed into the vehicle, holding a melty popsicle now. Lyra looked over at him. He knew that look. But he knew Lyra wouldn't tell. She really was a good sister. As the car reversed out onto the road, the moving truck soon followed.  While Natalie just stared. 

But before, she could turn away, she saw that Toby was waving goodbye from the car window. She smiled widely and vigorously, waved back. 

This was it. This was the end. 

But was it, though?