Chapter Eighteen

Again, time seemed to pass the girl by. Everytime she passed Toby's empty home, her heart hurt from the serious nostalgia she was feeling. The Rogers did not live there any longer. Her childhood friend really was gone. Not gone, but probably in a brand new city with skyscrapers and twinkling city buildings. But no one would want to stay in this bland, boring town. 

Like all of Natalie's previous neighbours, they all moved to somewhere, where it wasn't so...dull. Natalie continued to take Lucas to school, every morning. But they never brought up the night when Natalie lost it at him. The sister felt endless pangs of guilt whenever she walked with him.

Lucas Ouellette just refused to say or even utter a word to her. Similar to her long gone best friend. Except for the refusing part. 

When Natalie got up, one morning, she felt light-headed. As if she didn't remember anything from the days before. She groaned, pulling herself up from the comfort of her bed. Natalie leaned over, rubbing her face. Her hands were cold. Which was not normal, since she was hot-blooded, which meant her hands were always warm. 

She simply ignored it and looked over to her alarm clock. The big red numbers read: 6:23. The girl really didn't feel like going to school today, but figured, she didn't have much of a choice. 

The young Ouellette sighed tiredly and stared out into the blue-ish morning light. It still looked like nightime out there, but she wasn't easily fooled. 

She stood up, her warm feet met the cold wooden floorboards. Natalie dragged herself to the bathroom and switched on the light, with a flick. The room was flooded with warm, orangey light as she stared at herself in the bathroom mirror. She suddenly felt sick but held herself with the support of the bathroom mirror's basin. 

A yuck feeling swirled around in her stomach. Had she eaten something rotten? She tried to recall what, but her light-headed state overpowered her thoughts. 

Natalie washed her face, cleansing off her tiredness. She progressed through the morning, doing her own morning routine. Brushing one side of her hair, etc. 

But she froze when her hazel eyes met a golden chain necklace, that rested on the basin. It sparkled in the light as she stared. There was a small shiny clock in it's golden frame. Her heart immediately ached at the sight of it. It's ticking echoed through her head. 

It was a simple necklace clock, but it undug a lot of Natalie's memories. 

She grabbed it and held it to her chest. It was a thing that Natalie cherished. Toby gave it to her as a small birthday gift. But still, she treated it fairly. She hated clocks. But this one in particular, was the only one that she had positive feelings towards.

But as the time passed, Natalie was ready for school. She wore her uniform, that were nothing more than heavy layers of clothing. The fabric weighed on her shoulders and her wooly cardigan itched. But she wore that golden necklace with the silver clock, around her neck.

When Lucas saw her, he immediately caught sight of it. He was a little puzzled but shrugged it off. After breakfast, the two began to head on their way to school. 

"Be careful, you two! I love you!" Mary Beth called. The mother collecting her children's cereal bowls off the counter. 

"We love you too!" The siblings responded, as the front door shut. 

David Ouellette glanced up from the newspaper he was reading. He watched his wife do the chores for a while, before saying something. "Mary, why do you think Matthew and Connie left? I heard they moved out or somethin'." His wife sighed.