Chapter 27

As soon as I saw the test results, I placed a hand on my stomach and took a deep breath. Walking out into the kitchen, I smiled at Alessandra, showing her the tests. She clapped her hands, excitedly. Palatina copied her actions, making us laugh. Alessandra left soon after, promising not to say a word to anyone. I wanted to tell Sebastiano as soon as he came home.

The months flew by and Palatina is now almost a year old, making me around four months pregnant. Sebastiano is still MIA. We were just getting settled at home after playgroup when there was knocking at the front door. Slowly, I made my way to the door and opened it after peering through the window. Lucian was standing outside with his girlfriend, Sofia, who looks pretty pregnant.

Opening the door, I greet them. "Hey guys! Haven't seen you around in a while. Clearly I missed quite a bit," I say laughing. Lucian smiles, "Can we come in?" I nod, opening the door wider. Palatina was standing up holding my phone in her mouth, a big smile lit up on her face when she saw our visitors.

I quickly take the phone out of her mouth and hand her a toy instead. Lucian crouches down to her level, "Hello my dear. You've grown so much. Your dad would be so proud to see you." My heart throbbed at his comment. Seb has missed so much.

"When will he be coming home?" I ask. Lucian looks at me with a sorry expression, "Actually, I'm heading back to Tampa in a few days. He gave me the time off to visit my fiance and attend an appointment to see my boy." I nod, whispering, "Congratulations." He continues, "Thank you. I was wondering if you could keep an eye on her and my child for a bit. I know I can trust you."

"Of course. I'll watch over them." I clear my throat, "Will he be back for her birthday party?" He sighs deeply before replying, "I'm not sure. When is it? I can try to get him to take the time off but I highly doubt it." My eyes water, knowing my daughter's father might not attend her first birthday, "It's next Saturday, her real birthday." He nods, "Okay."

They stay for lunch and as I'm cleaning up with Sofia, Lucian gets a call. "Yes?" His eyebrows furrowed together as he listened to someone talk. "I'll be there as soon as possible." Sofia looks at him, worried. Lucian walks towards her and speaks, "I need to go. There's been an situation. Sebastiano has been ambushed and is missing." My heart drops and immediately, I say, "I'm coming too." Quickly, he yells, "No, not happening!"

"I'm good, you know this. Let me help find the father of my children." Lucian goes to talk but hesitates, "Children?" His eyes find my stomach, "You're pregnant? Then you're definitely not going. You are staying here and protecting your children. And that's final."

Lucian leaves after saying goodbye while Sofia stays the night. We hang out and order pizza for dinner before she retires to the guest bedroom. I quickly pack some clothes and food for me and Palatina before strapping her into her carseat. Loading in a suitcase of guns and knives, I feel safe. We take off before ten at night and I feel good knowing my daughter will sleep through most of the drive.

The drive was long and exhausting, making me pull over for a few hours to take a nap while Palatina was still asleep. Her crying woke me up and I fed her some milk in a cup and some cereal before heading back on the road. Driving straight there, we listened to some music and Palatina played with her toys.

Once we arrived at the hotel, I booked a few nights in a room at the top floor knowing they stayed there too. Holding Palatina on my hip, I led the bellhop to our room. After putting things away and setting up the pack and play, I strapped a gun under my shirt. I called the receptionist and asked her to direct the call to Lucian's room.

"Hello? Who the hell is this?" "Hello Lucian. I'm here in Room 402, please meet me here within five minutes or I will find you," I say through my teeth before hanging up.

Surely enough, there's knocking at the door within two minutes. I open it to reveal Lucian with six men behind him. "Come in." They enter the room and take seats. "Tell me everything." With that, they started telling me about the Spanish mob and how Sebastiano went to a club with few men but someone gave intel to the Spanish that he was there. There was a big gun fight but Sebastiano was taken after his men were killed. I listen to everything, grimacing at the details.

I looked over to see Palatina had crawled onto the couch and was poking some big, burly guy in the eye, giggling. "Baby, that's not nice!" She kept giggling as I pulled her away from him, holding her on my hip. Lucian shook his head, "Sebastiano will kill me if I let you endanger yourself and your children to save him. But I know you're good at what we do, so Nicolo, you're on Palatina duty." At a loud sigh, I look over to see the guy that Palatina was annoying.

"Are you sure? He doesn't look like a baby guy." He speaks up, "That's because I'm not. But I'll protect your child like it's my own. For Sebastiano." I smile at him, "Thank you." With that, we begin planning