Chapter 27: Assassination

Ratchet's POV:

Ultra Malachite had left with Everence to go scouting for energon, so there's only me, Optimus, Alto and Vess.

"Ratchet?" Optimus asks from behind me, and I turn around.

"I've seen you with Ultra Malachite, and--" He begins, but I cut him off.

"Seen what? There's nothing to see."

Believe it or not, Optimus gets a rather teasing look in his optics. "I have noticed the attention she gives you, and the attention you return. It's no hidden secret."

"So... am I gonna get a lecture about... finding a femme... Likable?" Attractive is the word I want to say, intriguing, spark lifting, but... Who am I kidding, I trust my life with Optimus. "A femme so lovable and beautiful."

"No, of course not. I just want to say that I think having Ultra Malachite is good for you." He shakes his helm quickly, and puts a hand on my shoulder. "What I mean is, if your going to open up to someone, open up to her. I can't always be the one to stay with you, but she can."

No, no... Optimus has always been the one to stay by my side and be there for me, no one can top the loyalty he offers, not even Malachite.

"I'm going for a drive." I say, deciding I need to think.

"Your playing a dangerous game, Old Friend." Optimus smiles, the kind of smile that reminds me of Orion Pax. The one that would grab random objects and say that he can beat me in fencing.

"What, musical chairs?" I return the smile and say sarcastically.

"Love." He replies. "And I feel strongly you made the right choice to play."

I nod and transform.

♤♡♤♡♤♡♤♡♤♡

I try my best to get away from everyone, humans, the Autobots, just so I can think. Love? Optimus couldn't be serious. Musical chairs has to be a quarter of a quarter of Love. But maybe Optimus is right-- maybe...

"Hello, Darling. " Vess interupts my thoughts, and I see she's standing in front of me with her hands on her hips.

I transform and brace myself for a lot of un-needed attention. Instead, she readies her cannon and shoots me in the shoulder.

A wave of pain washes over me and I hit the ground hard. My shoulder is leaking energon, but my biggest worry is that Vess is coming closer. She exchanges her cannon for her sword, her gaze burning with fury. I sit up and try to back away, but it's kinda hard when your shoulder is making a puddle bigger than you with your own lifeblood. I look down at my shoulder and realize I'm going to bleed to death if I don't patch it up soon.

Vess uses the tip of her blade to lift my chin so I'm looking straight at her, and she smiles a dark, cunning smile.

"Ratchet, you were wise not to fall for me. It would've only made it easier to slaughter Prime if you did, but it can still work." She growls, her words hitting me like a meteor.

"What?" My voice is shaky as I respond, shaky with pain, and surprise.

"Alto and I were sent here to kill you and Optimus, and well, here you are, alone, and practically doomed." Vess pushes the blade's tip in a bit so it barely scrapes my neck, leaving a mark though.

To my surprise, she takes the sword away, but only to lash my leg and leave a long, deep gash.

"Gah!" I gasp with pain, losing energon by the nanocycle.

She smiles and walks around, and does something with my audio receptor, I hear a click and a wave of pain shocks through my head. She shut off the com links!

While she's behind me, she slashes across my back as well, and I can tell in a matter of minutes I will bleed to death.

"I'm supposed to kill you, but, because you can't call for help and clearly can't go anywhere, might as well leave you to bleed out." Vess says, walking back around in front of me. "That will make it look more like the Decepticons killed you slowly, right? Heh, whatever pains Optimus the most is what I'm in for."

I sigh in pain and lay back as she stalks off, leaving me for scrap.

"O...Optimus..." I whisper.