Chapter 6

Shannon's POV

Adam left this world and it has been more than a week since the most sorrowful event of our lives occurred. Mom went into a state of depression hardly speaking to anyone and was starving herself to death. If this continues for long, I fear that I may lose my mom too along with my brother. I consulted a few psychiatrists regarding her health and after a lot of persuasion from me and dad she is finally on medication. Dad asked me to stay in their house till she recovers and we are doing our best to get her out of the cataclysmic situation.

I made it a point, after I came home from the office to spend some time with mom in discussing her day. It is not that she speaks much but thankful to the heavens and above she still gives me an answer in monosyllables. 

With the passing time according to the assessment of her physician I am happy to note she is steadily improving on her health. Dad now frequently takes her out, sometimes to a park, church and even to watch movies which my parents hadn't done for more than a decade. Yesterday I saw her smiling at dad for one of the stupid jokes he specially created for her. It was a huge sign of improvement and I am glad I could share their glee.

The work in the office continued to be a challenge especially pertaining to the loggerheads of the accounts department. Tomorrow is the final interview I am going to take. Mr Brad had been of great help to me during this challenging period.  I am grateful to him and very much bank on his decision regarding the selection of a prospective accountant for being the trusted employee of our company for more than a decade.  He already shortlisted two candidates from his interviews yesterday and I hope I will now breathe a sigh of relief.

****

During these days I tried to find out from the hospital the details of the family that unfortunately became prey to my brother's incautiousness. But I couldn't get a fruitful result. The family wasn't willing to share any of their information with us. Through the sources, I came to know that the car which is now reduced to a trash belonged to a middle aged couple. The woman died on the spot and was declared ‘brought dead’ to the hospital. Her spouse suffers serious injuries and is now in a coma. The medical team handling the case ascertains the survival chances for him are very bleak.

Guilt once again consumes me for I am indirectly responsible for the family's boundless sorrow. The victim's dependents are a daughter and son. I was most willing to help them but was informed the daughter who is older among the two siblings doesn't want any financial help from a stranger. Seems like she is a tough nut to crack. I wonder what the reason could be. It is not like her daddy pooled money for her and her brother for generations. She seemed to be more stupid in the cover of self esteem than a smart lass who would accept the money given willfully.

Nevertheless I have no time to bother about matters unconcerned to me. It was my duty to offer the victim’s family financial help which I did. If they do not want it, it is not my fault. 

****

My life went topsy-turvy within just a span of a month. Heavy work in the office followed by complications in the house makes my head go heavy. My body craves for an immediate release but staying in my dad’s house any sort of hunky-funky business was not possible. I couldn't grab a drink nor bring a girl to offload my stress. 

Dipping my head down over the sink in the washroom I sprinkle water on my tired face and look at myself in the mirror.  The person staring was a man much older than my age with red eyes, tired countenance and lines of worry marked on his forehead.

A couple of minutes later there was a knock at the door.  She was my receptionist informing me that the short listed candidates from the previous day's interview were waiting for my appointment in the waiting area. I forgot for a few minutes that I was still present in my office. I asked her to send the interviewees inside. Within a few seconds there was a tap at my door.  “Good morning sir I am...”