Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Shannon Pov

Mara is seven months pregnant now, arresting and attractive more than ever with her beautiful baby bump. It is getting difficult to keep my hands to myself and so I always try to find my way to stay intimate with her. Thank goodness! Making love is all the more fulfilling with my ever ready, horny wife because of her invigorating pregnancy hormones.  

I pray to nature to bestow me with this happiness all my life. She is no more nauseous and savors everything I prepare for her.  Today I am going to prepare vegetable fried rice, a dish made of flavored rice, chunks of spice, browned vegetables, fried onions, and dry fruits such as almonds which are layered in a pot and cooked together yielding a high aromatic speciality. 

For the sweetening of the taste buds is fruit pie as per my little wife's wishes. Mara has got a sweet tooth and probably our baby growing in her has it too. 

I showered and changed into fresh clothes to prepare dinner for both of us and I saw her cleaning the cupboards in our bedroom. My heart began to thud erratically and the scene I dreaded all these years came flooding to my feet. "What is your explanation on this?" Her features went impassive as she squares me holding the medical file of my deceased brother. Bile went rushing to my throat as my Adam's apple bobs facing her in trepidation. This wasn't what I thought or planned for. I should have been more careful in handling that bootless file.

"Relax Mara. I am here to give you every explanation that you require. Sit down first." I tell her in soft words.  On that day I told her my entire anecdote starting from the day I met her to the time of my discovery about her family's involvement with my brother's accident. I had made my sincere revelations on becoming enamored by her virtuous beauty to my monstrosity of torturing her to shards for the satisfaction of my nugatory self esteem.

She listened to my total recital uninterruptedly and unbroken and stayed inscrutable rooted to her feet. I waited for an outrageous explosion from her or least a painful cry holding my collar on why I betrayed her? But....Nothing came out of her lips. I was baffled by her conundrum of silence that felt more threatening than a philippic disquisition. And on that day I understood silence has more eloquence than speech.

"I need space." Were the only three words she spoke and left our home? Since then three anniversaries have passed of our marriage and two birthdays of our little daughter but she kept her lips buttoned.

I sent her endless messages made infinite phone calls and wrote unlimited mails but she answered none. I learnt through my security sources that I had a daughter and was fortunate to hold her for a few seconds until her father arrived fired a fusillade and got me dragged out of the hospital.

Well, I was worth that shit.

Since that day I have sent unending gifts for my daughter on her birthdays and sometimes just like that whenever I found anything eye catching. On every anniversary and her birthday, I sent Mara presents with a note on how much I miss her and our cute little daughter but all of them returned back untouched in the same way they were sent.

Over a period of time I lost hope out of my life and buried myself in work. My life became mechanical like a machine. I return home late in the night to the empty dim walls of the silent house and then get up early the next day morning to start back to work with no holidays and breaks.

My wife and child left me and my parents cut off their ties no sooner that they learnt about my pitiless feline behavior towards Mara. My mother stopped speaking to me and my dad would answer me in only mono syllables when it is the business of utmost importance.