Chapter 10

Mara Pov 

The more I pursued the case of my parent's accident, the greater the pressure from the cops. They left no stone unturned in forcing me to withdraw filing the case. The family of my mom’s murderer seemed to be freakishly affluent. Obviously they had bribed the cops who are pressuring me to take back the case. But I am a hanging tough self reliant woman who doesn’t fear threats. I turned a deaf ear to the cops. 

A week later I was bringing provisions from the nearby supermarket.  A group of unidentified people covered in masks crossed my path and threatened to kill me if I didn't annul my complaint. I was about to report the matter to the police but seconds away I got an unexpected call from my friend Anshi. 

Anshi’s father is a police commissioner who helped me file the case of my parent’s accident.  Apparently she had obtained all the information from him and counseled me with the distinction of an important veracity. The person I am fighting is a reputed mogul whose brother committed the accident. He has dealings even with the underworld and the chances for me to win the case are bleak. “So you mean I should take back the case fearing that scoundrel and his goons?”

It has been six months since I joined the Clandevis group of Industries.  Though initially it was difficult to cope up with the job, my boss had been cooperative, giving me time and the necessary guidance to complete my work. People in the office view him as a very dominant and powerful tyrant but for me in a bizarre way he seems to be friendly and comforting.  

Though there were no words spoken between us regarding my personal life, his casual statements unknowingly became the replies to my unasked questions. They were hitherto a source of inconstancy creating a chaos in my mind.  

After my initial month of probation, I was successful in pleasing him with my work and my name was added to the firm's payroll. But a few blissful months were all that marked the end of happiness for me in Clandevis Industries. Destiny had joined its course on tormenting me again. 

A few days later I was busy with my work completing the balance sheet of Radiant national, a supplier of our company, when I heard a knock at the door. Mr Brad walks inside with a stupid grin. The fucker had no time sense at all. "Hi beautiful" he greets me as my fingers turn to fists. 

I had been handling Mr Brad's nuisance for the past many months but couldn't report the problem to Mr Clandevis as the former is a prospective employee who is shortly to become the COO of the company. 

My conscience hints to report the matter to the CEO but sanity teaches me to keep my guard low. I somehow need to pull through these tough days until I bring my dad out of danger.  My father needs treatment and I need money, I chanted the mantra massaging my shoulders. 

Giving sporadic touches his calloused hands reach southwards to my body.  "Sweetheart, I am getting crazier with each passing day. I am so close to you yet so far away. Just one night with me, and I will see all your problems are solved. Come on...." He urges, kissing my cheek and gains axis on my left breast squeezing it. 

A low squeal escaped my throat and that was my last straw of patience to stand the scoundrel. I rose from my chair in a whirlpool and my hand came in contact with the mule's cheek hitting him like a tornado. 

For a few seconds there was pin drop silence. He stares at me nonplussed and his hand slowly reaches the place I hit him moments back. Realization dawns on him gradually like a spreading poison and his face goes red in a fit of fury. "How dare you slap me bitch?" His menacing growl came out in a dare.

Before I stagger out of the room he arrests me tightly in his arms. My eyes shot at him in live embers as he kissed me in a punishing ferocity.  I taste blood with his penalizing kisses and try to punch him on the face but he was alert in suppressing my actions this time. My intercom begins to ring and his eyes stare at the caller id in malicious slits. "The idiot had to call only at the right time." He hisses in anger.