Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Mara's POV

It was nine in the night by the time our reception ended. Shannon did not return in the same car I started home with. Instead my parent's in law accompanied me in his black Lamborghini. With the change in the course of events I became anxious. What happened to Shannon, why didn't he tell me about the variation in the plans? 

Mr Clandevis noticed my concern and replied with a sunny smile. "Do not worry child, Shannon will follow us shortly. As a new member of the family you are supposed to reach home before him because there are some rituals to be discharged."

I am relaxed by his cheery answer. After half an hour of driving, we reached an epoch villa. The exterior of the manor was majestic with a huge garden surrounded by lush green trees. In the center proudly stood a fountain, a beautiful woman holding a pot from which water was falling in colorful springs. Classic. The security greeted us as we entered the gate of the mansion. 

On the top of the grandeur building stood proudly the frame which called ‘Zion'. My mom-in-law came beside me and ushered me inside the palace with a pleasing smile. "Welcome to the family home of the Cladnevis, child... 

So this is also Clandevis house. Do these people have a printing press to mint money? Probably if they start counting they would by themselves lose the count on the number of properties they own.

The interior of the castle surpassed the external view. The house was exquisitely furnished with African Blackwood.  Propertied mansion embellishes itself with crystal flower vases, expensive photo frames and affluent paintings of world famous painters. 

On the staircase wall were many family photographs hung including the pictures of Shannon's parents. One of them caught my attention. It was a picture of two little boys standing beside one another with the taller person's hand on the shoulder of the shorter one.

The older one was of course my husband but the features of the younger guy also looked familiar. I pointed to the picture and before I could ask my mom-in-law replies with an uncomfortable chuckle. "That's the photo of my sons." 

My inquisitiveness took over preceding my comprehension. I was never informed by the family or my husband that he had a junior sibling. "The younger one.....” 

She didn't let me complete, and got shot of the matter in imprudence. "I lost him in an accident." That was rude....

My thoughts still lingered on the picture of the younger guy. I have seen him somewhere....but where did I see him?

*******

Half aann hour later…

My mother-in-law presented me with a Red dress along with a matching set of Ruby necklace before I went to visit his great grand father. Should meeting his ancestors done on the same day of my marriage with Shannon?

As if catching my thoughts my MIL replied. “Shannon was very close to his great grand father when he was a kid. He used to eat his lunch only by playing in his arms. The old man wanted to come to his wedding but we forbade him considering his age and fragile health.” 

For a girl brought up with family values, I know the importance of elders in a family. My grandparents breathed their last in my parents house. I respect the thoughts of my parents in law. So I showered, got ready in half an hour. 

Walking ten minutes along with my MIL amidst the verdant garden of the house I met a huge room in brick structure where an old man was sleeping on the bed. He opened his eyes as soon as I entered inside and smiled asking me to sit beside him on the bed.