Chapter 21

Mara's POV

Since Shannon had donated a copious amount to the hospital and immediate fund transfer for the best treatment of dad, things moved expeditiously. Damn, the power of money. Now he is out of coma, almost left the crutches and will positively be discharged from the hospital in the beginning of the next month. Words fell short in my dictionary to thank the Almighty for blessing me with such a great magnanimous boyfriend.

Since the time I started working in Shannon's company I discovered many important facts about him. Every year twenty five percent of his total earnings go towards charities. Apart from this ten percent of the company profits go to the education of poor children under merit cum means scholarships. There are many hospitals, charitable organizations and educational institutions who are beneficiaries of the benevolent Clandevis. Knowing about all these things my regard and adulation for Shannon increased ten fold.

The next morning we reached the hospital as per the behest of Shannon. I did not want to displease him. Somehow after the bellicose of my parent's accident with him things had gone weird between us. Why had he suddenly gone defensive for that douchebag's family? It appeared as though Shannon was living his life. Leaving me in the drawing hall to fetch myself he walked to his bedroom suddenly going listless.

I did not want to rub on his wrong side, after all we are soon going to be life partners. I recollect my mother's words regarding the preposition for a perfect marriage. When one of the partners is captious the other has to be compliant and that was what I was exactly doing - trying to understand my 'husband to be'.

The next day…

As I tap the door of dad's hospital room he looks up from the newspaper in his hands, pushing down his glasses and beams brightly extending his hand for me to hold. 

"How are you my princess?" He asks me zestfully, running his hand on my head as if I am a baby. I knew I couldn't trust my voice after looking at his fragile form. I manage to only nod. 

Looking down at his weak hand that still had red marks of the many syringes injected through his veins, my eyes gathered in wetness. He seemed to notice it and shook his head gazing at me in affection, he comforted me with his tender words. "It is alright princess all is well that ends well."

I ran my hand on the back side of his palm, sniffing and met his eyes with my tearful ones. "That's not the girl I taught to be strong...." He scolds me softly, kissing my head and looks frontwards. 

"Hello young man, I have heard so much about you." Dad extends his hand towards Shannon for a shake. 

"I suppose whatever you heard about me was not bad." Shannon adds jovially and takes my dad’s hands in his.

Dad waves off at Shannon's statement and thanks him for funding his treatment.

After a few minutes of heartfelt talk Shannon asks me to get lunch for my dad. I could clearly understand the meaning behind his words. He wanted to speak to dad in private. What is the thing that he wants to share with dad that he couldn't tell me? The matter is serious and it was obvious when he opted for solitude with my father. Curiosity was bugging me beyond a point.

When I reached back to dad's room with a tray of food, I could see him very serious and involved in a severe altercation with Shannon. I have known my father all my life and he is a very friendly person. If Shannon has annoyed him then it is a critical situation. But why does dad want to hide the matters from me? He immediately softens his features when he notices me. "Your boyfriend was asking me for permission to marry you. However I cautioned him that if he ever laid a hand on even your hair, I would break his bones and be chasing him to hell."