Chapter 17

Shannon's POV

Putting on her night wear, Mara went back to sleep after I forced her to take some rest. Damn! What did I do? I looked around the scraped silent walls of her small house that shouted at me like I was a sin for my animalism. As if someone was chasing me, I rushed to the washroom and sprinkled some water on my face to ease the discomfort ruling in me. It was only then, I felt at ease. 

Occupying an old couch in the sitting room I dialed the number of Holy city hospital where her dad is admitted. I wired the necessary money and spoke to her father's doctor. He assured me that Mr Benjamin will be given the best treatment available in the country since all his dues and medical bills are cleared now. And he will be healthy within the next couple of months.

Settling everything about her father, including his treatment, medication, surgical procedures and medical bills, I walked inside the kitchen to prepare breakfast for all three of us.

After sometime Vance walked inside the cooking room, eyeing me skeptically. He  stares disapprovingly at my bare chest. I knew very well what was going on in his mind. He was young but very smart and protective towards his sister. Before he could draw out his conclusions about me I stepped in forcing out confident words. "Hey young man Good morning! With the year end approaching my company had a lot of paperwork unsolved. I couldn't ask Mara to stay back considering her safety. So last night I pounded into your house seeking the help of your sister."

Pointing to the sofa in the drawing hall with my finger I quickly added. "I slept on the couch." Shit! What if he had seen me in my intoxicated situation yesterday? I do not want to create a wrong impression about me in my brother-in-law’s mind.

You make blunders, you obviously have to suffer the consequences - my mind interceded. I kept lying to him in hiding about me and Mara’s togetherness. Since when have I started fearing this kid? I'm an entrepreneur who could make a person piss in his pants just by my looks. I can turn the tables in the other part of the world with the flick of my fingers but for this slip which is very different about me. I took a cowardly man’s way slipping from the backdoor when I'm always unswerving, idealistic and rational.

I release a breath I never knew I was holding, giving him a labored smile.

"Some chicken pizzas...?" I point to the breakfast I set on the kitchen counter offering him. 

"Thank you.” He acknowledges solemnly, placing some pizzas in his lunch box. “I hope you prepared vegetarian sandwiches for Mara. She is a vegan." Shake it! This young guy is going to be my death one day. But my relief was short-lived. He goes inside his sister's bedroom and my heart hammers in my chest like a curse of a predator. Will he find out? I should not have given her those marks. Fucking, I drank like a cow and now I am drawing the repercussions. “I know, I prepared a cheese sandwich for her.”

*****

Was it the support I was rendering to Mara because I love her or it was my guilt conducting me to wash away some of my sins of the past, I did not know. But one thing is confirmed in me now, I cannot see her in pain. I will do anything to drive away the tears from her eyes even when I know she is going to hate me in her future for what I am in her life.

My sanity taught me to run away from her, run away as fast as I can to a far off place where I will not have any reminiscences of my past. But it seems like I was destined to face the punishment of my mistakes. I couldn't rule her away from being a part of me.  It is often said opposites attract and I was watching the live movie of that statement. 

Being the impeccably immaculate maiden for a perilous selfish monster like me she took control in my bloodstream like a beautiful vision with celestial powers.

In the past I even thought of getting her killed. I am very lucky, I escaped the trauma of eternity in a gap of a hair. If not for that phone call from Mr Monroe a few days ago, she would not have been breathing today and I would have been wailing for her loss in all my days that are left on earth.

****

Mara’s POV

The next morning after we have our breakfast he takes me to a gynecologist. "As much as I want to get you pregnant cupcakes, this is not the time. I don’t want people raising curious eyes and pointing fingers at you." He nibbles my cheeks in love and hugs me tightly.

I was dressed in a cherry red high neck blouse which had three quarter sleeves with a white pants and a cardigan. My long braided hair passed through my bust area and reached the sides of my waist. It's the way Shannon liked me.

Assessing me from top to toe like a patrolling inspector he finally gives me an impressive nod and guides me to his black Lamborghini parked outside.

After fifteen minutes, we were seated in the waiting area. I observed the man sitting beside me with a newspaper in his hands that was covering me from his beautiful view. He was dressed in a perfectly tailored suit. The super fine fabric screamed richness that could probably feed a family for a whole month. He was leaning back on his chair, his right ankle resting on the knee of the left leg that reckoned power, poise and dominance. I could smell his tantalizing ocean and hue scent that was revitalizing the amatory thoughts that were till then sleeping in me.

He exposes his head out of the newspaper and asks me in concern. "Are you okay?" I nod my head not trusting in my speech but he understands everything about me as clear as a day even when I don't utter a word. "Don’t get into ludicrous thoughts baby. We are in public. I can’t touch you now.” A teasing snigger laces his face.

I control my grin and look at the lady sitting in front who was holding her giant size tummy with a huge smile. Instantly I panicked. One day I will be like this.  What my eyes did not notice was Shannon watching me. “There is nothing to worry about cupcakes. The doctor is just going to give you a pill to stop the risk of pregnancy. I could have gotten it from a medical store but I do not want to take any second chances. You are my utmost priority." He tells in a soft tone holding my hand in his large one.

After a while we were outside in the parking lot. I point to the ice cream parlor in the adjacent area like a toddler of three. "I want to have an ice cream." 

Shannon nods, pulling my cheek in a tender chuckle. "Go, I will reach you shortly after getting the medicine." As I reached near the shop, there were two mucks stopping my way singing dissonant. "Ice cream, ice cream little girl wants an ice cream."

Shannon reaches me in no time. His hand was on the small of my back in protection guiding me inside the shop. If I wasn't observant, I would have missed the moment in his eyes that were marking an instruction to someone. I tried to trace out to who he was giving the code directives but found no one. 

Bringing out the money from my purse I was about to place it on the counter but he beat me to it. "Keep the change." His tone goes powerful to the cashier, sliding a few bills on the counter. His aura resonated control and ascendancy everywhere. Sometimes I feel that sort of rule comes with blood in the wealthy.

I was busy opening the wrapper of my cone as his hand once again made its place around my waist escorting me out.

Moments later we were back in the car and I was licking my ice cream cone when accidentally my eyes fell on the rear view mirror. 

Two men dressed in black were beating the shit of the casanovas who teased me. So we had security behind us. Shannon's eyes were covered in shades busy on his phone and speaking about forthcoming meetings to his secretary. The ear piece is tucked to his ears as he maneuvers the car with expertise on the busy streets of Miami city. How could I get so lucky to mark a place in the heart of this Adonis.

"Finished the job?" He queries on the phone that was received ten minutes later. Shannon is not the kind of man who would lose his temper and utter profanities in times of distress. The constant tick of his chiseled jaw is the only indication I get to note, he is annoyed. He was pissed with the men’s comments on me.

"Want some?" I offer my half licked chocolate cone to him to cool him off. He shook his head looking at me with a faint chuckle. "You eat." He tells me in a quiet tone like one speaks to a kid. We went home afterwards.