Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Shannon Pov

Five years later.....

I slid up from the super soft mattress covered in white linens and looked from the window of my executive suite. It was the middle of December. It was snowing heavily in the state of Florida, Miami. The huge trees surrounding my private room were dusted with snow. Winter was in its tight grip. Despite the sprinkling of the snow, the sun now shone weakly between the clouds sparkled against the sparse white flakes.

A few feet away I see children in huge giggles making a snowman. One of them was a beautiful little girl around seven to eight years old. Her gray eyes twinkled as she showed her older brother her attractive creation. "Hey Ryan, look at my snowman. Don't you think he is beautiful?"  

Her brother goes sledding and raises his right thumb to her in appreciation.

I tossed my coat and stepped into the chilly, early December, the little girl reminding me of my own daughter. 

It has been a week since I last met her and took Amaira in my arms. "What is your name, pretty girl?" I asked the tiny tot kneeling down to match her height. "I am Jennifer." She tells me in a shrill voice and runs to her dad who was watching his children from the balcony of the room a few feet away.

I nod as a symbol of greeting him and walk back to my room which is now covered in snow because of an open door. A week back I came to the States on account of business. Yesterday was the busiest day. I sealed five deals about which I am very proud of myself. The Clandevis Industries are now in expansion of their trade in shipping and hotel businesses too. Miami is the cultural, economic and financial center of South Florida. Port Miami is the biggest cruise port and major tourism hub and thus the best option in expansion of the Clandevis chain in the hotel industry too. 

I sip the hot steaming coffee from the mug in my hands and dial her number. On the third ring she picks my call. "Hello" My heart skips a beat hearing her mellifluous tone.  "How are you Mara?" I try to keep my voice in balance when a recalcitrant quiver comes out in a quaver. 

For the last three years, after her meeting with mom, Mara had been regularly visiting my parent's home on my mother's insistence.

Mom had almost knocked the doors of heaven and come back yearning for life after hearing the sweet titters of my daughter, Amaira. I am earnest to admit, in spite of my abominable behavior towards her, Mara has got the tender heart to be kind and compassionate towards my parents. Since that day I have been waiting for my luck to strike my wife's forgiveness but the felicity hasn't favored me as yet.

I begged mercy from my father-in-law for my dishonesty towards Mara. He was in high dudgeon for a couple of years but slowly became composed. Though even today we are not on our best terms, we maintain a cordial relationship. I am thankful to Mara that she allows me to see our daughter whenever I can make time. 

Mara has been working as a wedding planner since the time we parted our ways. I tried to extend financial help to her various times in looking after our daughter but like expected she was a woman with high self esteem. She returned back every helpful gesticulation that I attempted.

"I am fine Shannon." Her dulcet voice brings me out of my strong reverie. "Can I speak to Amaira?" Within seconds I hear the chirpy voice of my cute daughter. "How are you daddy? Did your meeting go well?" She asks me energetically. 

"Meeting went excellently, my Sunshine. I cracked five big deals here in the States." I told her jubilantly. "What do you want me to get you when I come back?" 

"Mmm..." I could literally imagine my daughter tapping her chin when she is thinking. A real drama queen that she is! "Get me a pink mermaid dress daddy. I have recently seen 'The little mermaid' on television and want to be one in my next fancy dress competition." She replies animatedly. 

"Sure princess, anything that you want." I speak to her for a few more minutes and end the call with a smile on my face.

My daughter is my life, the essence of my living.

Few days later...

I came to visit my family after coming back from Miami. Mara had an urgent work assignment that had to be attended though it was a Sunday. Nevertheless that was the only reason she could give me when I asked her to stay home to spend time with us.

Amaira was very excited to see me after almost more than a month. As per her wish I bought her the mermaid dress and many more gifts like designer frocks, different types of footwear and a doll house. 

Though I know she would deny my offerings, I couldn't stop myself from buying party dresses, casual wear and a diamond necklace set from Tiffany's for Mara.

It was evening, Mara hadn't returned home from work and I knew she wouldn't until I left the house. Ten minutes ago she sent me a text that I could drop Amaira in her friend's house that is two blocks away. I read the text running my hands on my face feeling sudden tiredness. She is set as a stone, doesn't even like to speak and is sending me messages like I am just an outsider. I do not know how long it would take for me to win back her heart but I will wait for the day with perseverance.

If she is adamant, then I am no less obdurate.

I was about to drop Amaira at her friend's place but before that she wanted an ice cream. I stopped my car in front of an ice cream parlor but prior to holding her she slipped away from me across the road catching sight of an injured puppy laying in the middle of the road. "Princess be careful, I am coming, don't run, you..." I couldn't complete my sentence as a speeding Lamborghini rushed from nowhere almost hitting my princess. 

I ran to the spot in no time not caring about my life and pulled my daughter away from the racing car but hit my arm in the process.

My left elbow bled like water from a tap but I couldn't feel any pain. My senses went absolutely numb as dark spots slowly began to appear in front of my eyes. Nevertheless one thing was constant in my brain - protection of my daughter. I asked for a paper and pen from the pedestrian standing close and scribbled the vehicle number that speeded away in a record time without a second glance. That wasn't an accident but an attempt to murder.

I hugged my daughter tightly, who was crying convulsively. "Daddy is fine, princess." I told her subdued and my eyes went closed making everything blank in my brain. 

Hours later I find myself under white ceilings amidst a strong smell of antiseptics. My mother was sitting beside me and crying spasmodically. I reach her hand and ask for my family. 

The room was filled with different varieties of flower bouquets and 'get well soon' cards from my staff, business colleagues but the one person I was waiting with bated breath, did not even send me a text message. Mara took our daughter away insensitively, releasing words imperceptible that broke my heart to pieces.

Never come back again and raise chaos in mine and my daughter's lives.