Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Mara's Pov

Like every day I got ready to work after sending Amaira to school. Today is a very important assignment for me. I am organizing the engagement party of a popular political celebrity. "Are you leaving for work?" Shannon's voice was heard from behind. 

"Yeah, do you require anything?" I asked him while putting some important last minute things in my handbag.

"I will drop you today while going to the office. I have a meeting at Minerva Grand." He was hurriedly wearing his coat picking up the car keys on the way, reaching me.

Something about his voice felt not right to me but when I asked my husband, he shook his head in his trademark poker face. He stops the car right in front of my office. "Take care of yourself." He bends his head a little and holds my face in his warm hands. His eyes held the depth of an ocean pulling me like a magnet deep into them. 

"You okay?" He asks tenderly, stationing me with his galvanized voice and slides his hands from my shoulders to wrists fidgeting with my bracelet like he always does.

"Why do you always play with my bracelet?" I ask him controlling my laughter. 

He gives me a tight lipped smile. "It brings placidity to my heart whenever you are away." 

I raise my eyes in amusement. "How can an inanimate object assure you of my safety? Do you know you behave quite weird at times?" 

His orbs held so much warmth that were otherwise inconspicuous but for only me to see. "Maybe..." The reply was simple but mysterious. It was obvious he was hiding something from me.

It was seven in the night and already dark. I felt like somebody was following me and turned back but found no one. As I walk further I could steadily hear heavy and quick footsteps but before I could realize what was happening, my nose and mouth were blocked from behind and I was dragged into a vehicle. There was a syringe injected to my neck as I try to struggle out of the iron grip and then everything went blank.

I was kidnapped.

****

I opened my eyes in a dark room with a small light glowing at the corner. "Mr Stalin, what are you doing here?" I addressed Amaira's teacher going completely flabbergasted. 

He was trying to tie me up in ropes. "I respect you so much Mr S but you are not the man who deserves any such regard." My words felt sorrowful after getting utterly humiliated under his steely gaze. 

"I thought you are a virtuous and ethically abiding human but never expected this sort of hostility from you." I tried to relieve my hands that were tied by him with ropes.

"Shut up you bitch and let me do my work without hassles." He called out perspiring while now tying my legs in a plaster. 

"Why are you doing this to me? What do you expect of me? If you want money my husband will give you the amount you want. Free me now." I cried out in pain wiggling in my seat. 

He grits his teeth and shouts. "If you are not mine, you cannot be anyone's. I was very patient with you all this while. I tried to explain to you with kindness to get rid of that little brat and her father but you are one stubborn imp who simply wouldn't understand the meaning of gentleness. You invited this for yourself. I will use you till the day I get bored, discard you like an old piece of rag and then serve you as dinner to cats and dogs." He seethed in anger.

I stared at him stunned. He looked like a simple teacher of Amaira but had such an amount of venom hidden in himself. Shannon is right. I see everyone guileless and believe in everyone. But the world is not as pure as I see. “I'm sorry Shannon.” I cried looking towards the sky and flared my eyes at the wretch.