Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Mara Pov

His hands stiffened, undermined and he looked at me stoically. He wasn't speaking to me and that increased my agitation yet I wanted to tell him everything, I wanted to empty all my sorrows and worries to him because he is the only man I can trust and breathe an air of relief regarding Amaira. "I feel someone is watching me, when I go to my office or even when I am at home but when I open the door and look out, I find no one."

"Fuck!" There was a hint of indignation in his voice. "Why didn't you tell me about this earlier?" I play my fingers in agitation fearing to meet his eyes. "I thought it was only my imagination. So I did not want to put you in unnecessary worry."

There was a knock at the door and his eyes fell at the entrance. The secretary comes in. "Sir, I wanted to remind you that you have a meeting with Mr Lee regarding our textile exports to Beijing."

He mutters something under his breath and tells his secretary who was already a trembling mess. "Could you rearrange the meeting of Mr Lee for tomorrow morning Charla? I am stuck on some important personal stuff." He tells her in a polite voice. That was a very big change in him that I have noticed. Shannon was never this polite a boss to his staff earlier.

His eyes turn back to me with pride. " Charla, meet my wife Mrs Mara Clandevis. Contact the reception lobby and tell them, next time when she comes they should not keep her waiting. Failing which, they will be removed from the job immediately."

Charla's eyes go wide in response. She was obviously surprised because she was meeting me for the first time. But she quickly balances herself. "Yes sir" she replies sternly and closes the door behind her.

"Some of my personal things are lost too." I continued telling him as soon as the door closed diverting my eyes to my feet. I was extremely reticent. It was a sensitive issue and we were not the intimate couple like before.

"What stuff have you lost?" His voice was now authoritative like he was speaking to a subordinate. But at the same time filled with concern.

"My undergarments...panties and brassieres... I thought I lost them to the laundry when I put them to dry on my balcony. But now when I put all the things together..." I looked up meeting his gaze which was now boiling with temper and I instantly went numb in my speech.

"You are the best imbecile I have come across in my life. Didn't you get the idea you have to report these things to me much earlier? Whoever this guy is, he is a sleeze." His lips wrap in a thin line with irate pooled up in his chocolate brown orbs.

All my positivity and control was lost the moment he lost his temper. I cover my face with my hands and burst to fit blubbers. "I am sorry. I know I should have told this to you earlier. But I was stupid."

Fuck! I am sorry, cupcakes." His voice goes into an instant remorse and the next second I feel his touch.

He leans over removing my hands that were covering my face and silently wipes away my tears. "You are pure and ingenious but everyone in the world is like you. You should be more careful because you have one more life to take care of. Don't worry, now that you have confided in me everything, I will look after this matter." He mellows down, giving me the assurance I so much needed from him.

"Do you see any signs of someone breaking into your flat?" He asked me in tenderness but his hands were gripping the edges of the table in a death clutch.

I shook my head in response, unable to trust my voice because if I pulled on this way for more time, I was going to blast very soon.

"This is some kind of macabre being played by the sick bastard." He sits down and grinds his teeth.